cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Dropbox vs. Ventura nightmare (191.4.4995)

Dropbox vs. Ventura nightmare (191.4.4995)

tomgrin74
Helpful | Level 6

Welp, week two and the "new" Dropbox update continues to reek havoc on my iMac. I've read a lot of community threads, and can already weed out that this is not a "beta" version. I've installed DB version 191.4.4995, on Ventura 13.6.1, and now I've updated to Ventura 13.6.4. After countless system restarts, the Dropbox icon in the top menu bar is constantly grayed out while the Sync History tab says "Starting." Hours go by and nothing happens. Meanwhile, I can not access any files in my Finder that are from DB folders. 

Please tell me there's a fix for this. I went a long round with support last week, and they instructed me to do a Terminal command process to look for "Symlinks" (which I said I would not do because it did not make sense with what I was experiencing), and then out of nowhere, all of a sudden, DB just started working. That lasted for the afternoon but the next day on restart it was back to the beginning again. 

This has kept my iMac's fan constantly spinning up and CPU usage spiking. "fileproviderd" has constantly been over 100% of CPU usage. And "rtcreportingd" has sometimes jumped way up, other times been around 17% of CPU usage.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tomgrin74
Helpful | Level 6

UPDATE: Feb 12, 2024

For anyone who finds this thread and is having issues, it's been about a week now since my system has stabilized after updating to the most recent version of Dropbox Desktop app for mac, which initially caused so much trouble for me. I'll admit that I was not optimistic that the Dropbox desktop app for mac would ever be stable again in current Apple/Mac Operating Systems, but it did eventually seem to work itself out. The two keys that seemed to likely help make any difference, although I can't confirm it so it's just my best hunch, are quitting the "fileproviderd" process in the Apple Activity Monitor app, a dozen shut-downs and restarts over several days, and eventually, with enough time, it all returned back to normalā€”allowing me to do the two special resets. Good luck out there. 

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @tomgrin74, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As you've already been in contact with the support team recently, I'd recommend continuing your communication with them so that they can move onto further steps.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tomgrin74
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, but wouldn't it be helpful to others in the community to track it here? It seems like sending me back to a chat or email trade is silo'ing off your team's approach to resolving thisā€”which to be honest, my fear is that there simply is not going to be great integration between the new DB desktop app upgrade and Apple OS's. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tomgrin74 - sorry to jump in here, but could you share your ticket's ID so that we can look it up in our system?

As for the issue you're facing, have you tried fixing your hard-links and permissions since you first noticed it? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

tomgrin74
Helpful | Level 6

Sorry, I don't know what my chat transcript ID was from the other day. You'd have to look that up by my user account. 

The "hard-links and permissions" article that you linked me to is for Windows, I'm on Mac OS Ventura. So I would need something more specific for Apple users. 

Btw - Dropbox desktop app has just be running for hours and is still on "Starting" under the Sync History tab. And when I click the top menu tray icon, it shows me not logged in. But if I try to "Sign in" nothing happens. I've tried quitting the app and restarting it, same problem.  See screen shot. 

"Starting" - and not "Signed in" even though I try to Sign In, nothing happens"Starting" - and not "Signed in" even though I try to Sign In, nothing happensImage 2-2-24 at 11.53 AM.jpegImage 2-2-24 at 11.55 AM.jpeg

tomgrin74
Helpful | Level 6

"fileproviderd" is constantly using over 100% CPU usage. Image 2-2-24 at 2.45 PM.jpeg

tomgrin74
Helpful | Level 6

Ok, apologies, after a second, closer look, I did find the Mac instructions in that article you shared with me. Repairing Hard Links does not work, it gives an error. But repairing Permissions did work successfully. However, then I tried to repair Hard Links, and it still gives an error and says to reach out to support. Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 2.49.28 PM.jpegImage 2-2-24 at 2.48 PM.jpeg

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Could you check your email's  inbox and see if you can find your email interaction with our support team @tomgrin74? If you chatted with a member of the support team you should have received an email with a ticket number as a reference.

I'm only asking as at this point we'd need to revert to email communication to further assist with account and device specific information. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

tomgrin74
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter, while I appreciate direct communications, I just want to go on record here saying (for other Mac OS Ventura users) so that when they search for this issue in the Community, they don't find a dead end like I have in the past. 

I checked my email but must have deleted that transcript from Chat. Should I re-open a new Chat, or how do we transfer this into an email thread without me having to explain it all over again? I appreciate your help because this is extremely frustrating and time consuming for something that only happened after I updated to the new Mac Desktop app for Dropbox. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, may I reach out via email from my end to have a further look internally at this point @tomgrin74?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    ecampb13 New member | Level 2
    tomgrin74 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?