cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File details not viewable in Windows 11 File Explorer

File details not viewable in Windows 11 File Explorer

Mirthy
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox version 152.4.4880 installed on a Windows 11 (21H2 Build 21000.739) desktop.  I have "Dropbox system extension" ("store files as online-only to save hard drive space") enabled on that PC . 

When I go into the Dropbox folder via File explorer and examine a folder customized for music I see zero details in the columns (Title, Artist, Album, etc.).  A separate media management app running in Win 11 confirms the metadata is present in the tags with all my music.  Also my Win 10 laptop with Dropbox correctly shows all the details in Win 10 File Explorer.

Back in Win 11, if I right click any file's properties and select details it shows only "Details are unavailable for the selected file" in place of the details properties pane for files still in the cloud.  For files I have opened, to force a download, it shows the details properties pane, but no entry values.  Similar behavior is occurring with other files types such as .jpeg

Suggestions, anyone?  Thanks!

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Mirthy, thanks for posting today! 

Does this behavior happen with your online-only files, or with files downloaded locally too? 

If you have some screenshots, in order for me to have visual, that'd be amazing. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mirthy
Explorer | Level 3

@Megan,

It happens with  both.  Note in the screen shot below, the 5th file 'Compassion', I had opened and played it, so it would download locally and the others I left in the cloud:

Mirthy_1-1657662268650.png

I right-clicked and got properties on one that was still in the cloud (on the left) and 'Compassion' (on the right):

Mirthy_2-1657662460100.png

Both files I verified have metadata and mp3 tags that my music management applications can see, as well as my Win 10 laptop which runs Dropbox as well.

Finally, I took a different folder of files and copied them to a new folder on my desktop, outside the Dropbox folder.  Both folders are customized to music files in their properties.  Notice below how the two folder display differently:

Mirthy_3-1657662720170.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Mirthy, thanks for the added info! 

If you try quitting the app, then checking the files? Do they have the data shown then? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Mirthy
Explorer | Level 3

@Megan, Sorry for the delay.  I quit the Dropbox app and reopened it, with zero changes to the issue.

I did some more testing and got some rather  bizarre results:

Moving a file:

M-1) Moved (not copy) a file from the Dropbox folder to the Win11 desktop - the file appears with the album cover as the icon, the properties are displayed and the mp3 can be played.

M-2) Move the file back to the original location in the dropbox folder - the file reverts to not showing the metadata in the properties, nor the data showing in the file explorer columns.  (The mp3 can still be played as well)

Copying vs. moving a file:

C-1) Copy a file from the Dropbox folder to the Win11 desktop as above - same result, the files shows the album cover as the icon, the properties display and the mp3 can be played.

C-2) Move the copied file back into the Dropbox folder - the file correctly displays the metadata in properties  and the data also shows within the explorer columns.  (Same result if I reverse it and move the file to the desktop, then copy it back into the Dropbox folder)

Mirthy_0-1657684681700.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info @Mirthy, how many files are you currently syncing on your machine? Is it greater than 300k files?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Mirthy
Explorer | Level 3

305,889 Files in 17,602 Folders for 698 GB total.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mirthy, happy Friday! 

Can you try the steps shown here, to fix the permissions of the files? Do you notice a different behavior then?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Mirthy
Explorer | Level 3

Fixed both the hardlinks and permissions, but no change in behavior. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mirthy, happy Friday! 

I just sent you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mike-wh New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Mirthy Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?