cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do verify local files aren't corrupted after drive failure

How do verify local files aren't corrupted after drive failure

penguin359
Explorer | Level 3

I recently had a drive in the beginning of a full-drive failure. I was able to clone the drive to a new one with only a small number of files lost due to corruption or I/O errors. I did not see any issues inside my Dropbox folder, but I don't completely trust that there was no corruption. My laptop is now running from the new drive without issue and I've replaced or deleted the files I know are corrupted, but I'd like to verify that all the files in my Dropbox folder match what is in my account as there might be some content that was corrupted on the old drive. Is there a way to have dropbox re-scan my whole folder and verify that the contents match what is in the cloud?

2 Replies 2

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome aboard the Community, @penguin359!

Can you please clarify what’s the current syncing status of your Dropbox app? Is it up to date, or syncing files?

If it’s up to date, and you haven’t excluded any folders via selective sync, then you should be seeing the same content both locally and online.

If you’d like to make sure that no files were accidentally deleted either, you can check your Deleted files page.

Let me know, if you need further help though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sarobaali
New member | Level 2

I think dropbox is safe to use as even if files are corrupted locally, it will not affect cloud files. But vise verse would affect well.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sarobaali New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?