cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect an existing Dropbox folder on external drive after a new Dropbox installation

How to connect an existing Dropbox folder on external drive after a new Dropbox installation

tc56
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, after a WIN update my personal settings got all killed. I have a huge amount of data in the dropbox claud which is attached to a folder in an external drive. How can I point the dropbox programm to this folder? - I am afraid that the program will lose data since I put some files locally in the dropbox folder when I was offline that aren´t in the cloud. Which is the safest way to get the program run w/o losing data?
Thank you in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tc56 wrote:

How can I point the dropbox programm to this folder? ... Which is the safest way to get the program run w/o losing data?

Uninstall Dropbox if it's installed. Rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder. Keep in mind that external drives are NOT recommended as data loss can occur under the right conditions. When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Normally I would say move, but in your case COPY the content from your Dropbox_Old folder into the newly created Dropbox folder. I say copy instead of move because you have new data in the folder that hasn't yet synced, so copying it to the new folder is a precaution in case it gets deleted. Once the copy is complete, and not before, resume syncing or relaunch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially if you have a lot of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it finds. Be patient and LET IT WORK. Once the sync is complete and you've verified that your newer files are still in the new Dropbox folder, you can delete the Dropbox_Old folder.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tc56 wrote:

How can I point the dropbox programm to this folder? ... Which is the safest way to get the program run w/o losing data?

Uninstall Dropbox if it's installed. Rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder. Keep in mind that external drives are NOT recommended as data loss can occur under the right conditions. When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Normally I would say move, but in your case COPY the content from your Dropbox_Old folder into the newly created Dropbox folder. I say copy instead of move because you have new data in the folder that hasn't yet synced, so copying it to the new folder is a precaution in case it gets deleted. Once the copy is complete, and not before, resume syncing or relaunch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially if you have a lot of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it finds. Be patient and LET IT WORK. Once the sync is complete and you've verified that your newer files are still in the new Dropbox folder, you can delete the Dropbox_Old folder.

tc56
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you very much for your help!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tc56 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?