cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recover Backup files for a new device?

How to recover Backup files for a new device?

bill25
Explorer | Level 3

My old computer crashed.  I bought a new one.  I need to recover my backup files from Dropbox.  I pay every year for years now.  No way to contact these fools.  As you can tell I'm very frustrated as I need my files.

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@bill25 wrote:

My old computer crashed.  I bought a new one.  I need to recover my backup files from Dropbox.

All you need to is install the Dropbox client on your new computer and it will sync all of the files that are in your account. You can also sign in to the Dropbox website to view and download the files in your account or to access any backups that you created.

If you're having a problem doing this, you'll need to explain what problem you're having so we know how best to help you.

bill25
Explorer | Level 3

I did download dropbox.   Somehow I got a NEW account NOT my old one.  In the meantime Dropbox billed me for my OLD account.  I need to change my credit card number.   NO ONE IS reponsive at dropbox.  I now have TWO accounts.   My old account does not connect to my computer.  They give you a telephone number in SF but it DOES NOT WORK.  Is this a scam?????    

bill25
Explorer | Level 3

I am a 5 year member, NOT a new member

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @bill25, sorry to see that you're having these issues.

What you need to do first, is to find out what the email address of your old account is.

Then, if you created a new account and signed into it on the Dropbox app on your new computer, but want to access your old account, you'll simply need to sign out of the new account and then sign in to your old one.

The Dropbox will sync your old account's files to this computer.

I hope this helps.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bill25
Explorer | Level 3

My email address for all my accounts is exactly the same.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey Bill!

A Dropbox account can only be associated with one email address.

You can check the "account" tab of the Dropbox app preferences, to see the email address of the account that's currently linked to the app.

Is it the same as the one shown when you try to look up the billing info of your paid account here?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    bill25 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?