cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove the Dropbox Icon from Menubar

How to remove the Dropbox Icon from Menubar

MuraliKarthikeyan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I recently installed dropbox on my macbook and there is a dropbox icon on the menu bar on top always. The only way to remove it seems to be be to completely quit the stop which will stop the app from syncing in real time. 

Does dropbox provide an option to hide this icon from the menu bar in someway. I personally feel its quite annoying

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MuraliKarthikeyan wrote:

Does dropbox provide an option to hide this icon from the menu bar in someway.

No. The icon is used to access the Dropbox application, and to show you the current status of your files.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MuraliKarthikeyan wrote:

Does dropbox provide an option to hide this icon from the menu bar in someway.

No. The icon is used to access the Dropbox application, and to show you the current status of your files.

CHZY
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Some of us may not need to always see the current status of our files in the menubar. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CHZY wrote:

Some of us may not need to always see the current status of our files in the menubar. 

I would suggest contacting Apple and suggest they include an option to hide irrelevant-but-required menu icons, such as the way Windows handles items on its system tray.

CHZY
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The standard way it's handled on Mac is via a preference in the app. 

"Let people — not your app — decide whether to put your menu bar extra in the menu bar.Typically, people add a menu bar extra to the menu bar by changing a setting in an app’s settings window. To ensure discoverability, however, consider giving people the option of doing so during setup."

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/the-menu-bar

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CHZY Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?