cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I uninstalled the desktop app, but the Dropbox folder is still on my computer. Any help?

I uninstalled the desktop app, but the Dropbox folder is still on my computer. Any help?

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi!

I have problem with uninstalling dropbox from my computer... One day a donwload it because i need sync documents between my devices but in this time i dont need it. So i go to start panel and right click dropbox and click "Uninstall" so dropbox uninstall sucefully but in my computer is styll file "Dropbox" but when I try to delete it, it starts deleting my desktop, documents and a lot of other files so I stop it before it starts deleting it. And so I want to ask is there any way to delete the folder so that all my files do not have Location: "C: Users / user / dropbox / My Pc / ....." so that it is again as before installation (C: Users / user / .....)

I have already uninstalled dropbox and deleted my account, but still the folder is still there, I tried to install dropbox again and then uninstall but still nothing ....

Thank you for your support

60 Replies 60

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Language: Czech

Translate: The target item is the same as the source item

Screen: https://ctrlv.cz/VUQe

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see, thanks for that @User134679!

At this point, I would suggest to reinstall the Dropbox app on your device, and during the set up enable the backup for the desktop.

Once the setup is completed, you can then disable the backup correctly through the desktop app which should do the trick.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne !

yes i have question/problem here: https://ctrlv.cz/GVg0

How can i fix it?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for that @User134679, and for sticking with me here while we look into this!

Let's try manually resetting the default folder location for the Desktop folder. You can exit out of the desktop app setup by quitting the app before taking these steps.

To do this, please navigate to the Desktop folder in File Explorer (not the folder in Dropbox) and then:

1. Right click the Desktop folder
  2. Choose "Properties"
  3. Go to the "Locations" tab
  4. Choose to reset to default location.

This will reset the folder location to ensure that it's in the correct location. Once you've done this, can you let me know if you have the same issue when moving the desktop files from Dropbox to the actual Desktop?

If so, please try the previous suggestion once more to reinstall the desktop app and enable the backup.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

User134679
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne!

Thanks for help 🙂 

Everything is now fine

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm very glad to hear that @User134679!

I'll just be a post away if you have any other questions or issues. 😁

I hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

S_e_hicks
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Following your exact instructions has left me with no access my desktop (desktop doesn’t exist?????) and I seem to have most very valuable work data.

So now what??

Dropbox backup when it takes over your PC is the worst thing and tbh immoral

I’m screwed

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @S_e_hicks, thanks for nudging us here and sorry to hear about this. 

Do you see the files that you're looking for in your account when you navigate through the desktop app?

If you don't have the desktop app installed anymore, do you see them via the web?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Larsn
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem as @User134679. I had Dropbox installed because I had a few files I wanted replicated to another device. Then for some reason, the backup feature got turned on, and when trying to stop this I have the same mess with files in one place and links from another.

However, I can't find a Locations tab in the Desktop Properties to make the suggested change.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Larsn, just to check, is the Dropbox desktop application disabled according to the desktop app?

Have you already uninstalled the app? Does the device appear on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?