cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to stop backing up my desktop on Dropbox.

I want to stop backing up my desktop on Dropbox.

rhaines765
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using a different app to backup my desktop computer and its files.  I want to continue to use Dropbox, but I don't need it to do the backups.  How can I stop this feature?

36 Replies 36

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

How long has it been since your files went missing? Was it over 30 days ago? What plan are you on currently?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tess e
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I believe it was May 6th. The insane thing is that I am on a free plan. I had removed and reinstalled drop box because it was not working right.  The moment I reinstalled it went crazy.  I was told it would only grab our files in a paid account, but that is incorrect. I kept getting messages that dropbox was full and I needed to upgrade. I feel like it was done to force my company to buy a plan.  (Which they are too cheap to do) I didn't want my files on there except the ones the company posted for our sales team. Suddenly all my files are stuck to dropbox including my personal files. I did not approve anything.  And many have just disappeared. It says they are in dropbox. The folders are but they are empty. I reached out that day but since it is a free account I was just pretty much dismissed after being told I'm pretty much clueless. Been using DB for a few years. Never had this happen until recently. It also loaded a virus on my pc. I had to set a malware program on it but it still did a lot of damage.  I have not recovered 75% of my recent files. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If the files were synced to the site and then were deleted, since it's been longer than 30 days, it wouldn't be possible to recover them from Dropbox, unfortunately. 

Regarding the virus/malware, provided you installed the official app from the Dropbox site, it isn't possible for the app itself to install anything like that. 

However, if there was a file in your Dropbox account, either in a private or shared folder, which was infected, then it would be possible from there.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

RIC4life
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I think I finally disabled it. Some of my private files are lost. It is what it is. 

When my American collegues go back to work I know if other stuff works. My collegue here says the app still says it's synchronizing and he doesn't see the filenames as they are in Dropbox itself. So it doesn't work. With me that part is fine now it seems, although the files are not locally anymore like they were.

tess e
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

It deleted them immediately, not 30 days later. But at this point I Guess it doesn't matter. The files are gone!  Since I realized I was screwed and had to find a way to stop DB from interfering, I make sure all new files are marked to keep only on my computer. Otherwise Dropbox immediately snags them.  

dickson14631
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey everyone,

I got off the phone to AppleCare after thinking this was an Apple issue. They informed me that it's a dropbox issue.

Basically, I can no longer access Desktop, Documents or Downloads via my Finder.

It shows the error message;

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Desktop” can’t be found.

It shows the same thing for all of them, "documents", "downloads" etc.

Every location is locked and is showing as an alias.

Apple support said that this is due to dropbox permissions and that the app has moved these files to a different location. 

I honestly hardly use dropbox, no idea how this has happened. 

Any ideas?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dickson14631, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

It seems you have enabled our backup feature, which moves your desktop folders to your Dropbox folder.

You can follow the steps here, to disable the feature and move your folders back to their original locations.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    dickson14631 New member | Level 2
    tess e Collaborator | Level 8
    RIC4life Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?