cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M1 Mac OS X Ventura turned off online files only and extension still cannot access files on Mac

M1 Mac OS X Ventura turned off online files only and extension still cannot access files on Mac

rws762
Explorer | Level 3

I have an M1 Mac running Ventura 13.3.1, Dropbox on computer is v173.4.6706. I have been having issues opening desktop files and in other folders (documents and downloads) that were using the "online only" file option. I turned off online only files and the Dropbox system extension. It has been over an hour and I still cannot access the files and when I right click on these files it says the location is Dropbox/My Mac. Bottom line I do not want to use online only files and I want the files back on my Mac. How do I do this? Another issue the Dropbox app is taking forever to launch if ever, and it has recently failed launching (error msg text below). Thanks in advance.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 173.4.6706
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 61
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 77fcc341-6477-52a3-8003-983b161230d4
pid: 2759
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='***', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Bob Shasteen', pw_dir='/Users/***', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='***', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Bob Shasteen', pw_dir='/Users/***', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_nsurlstoraged', '_serialnumberd'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_nsurlstoraged', '_serialnumberd'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/akbob'
appdata: '/Users/***/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/***/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/***/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/***/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/tb/t422gx652_q3g19q_vk8q40c0000gp/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/tb/t422gx652_q3g19q_vk8q40c0000gp/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 5253, in _setup_root_for_account
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_root/helpers.py", line 511, in get_root_for_account
File "desktop/dropbox/foundation/futures/basic.py", line 857, in result
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_root/handlers/macos/file_provider.py", line 121, in set_result_or_convert_exception
dropbox.mac.internal.MacError: [Errno -2001] Error Domain=NSFileProviderErrorDomain Code=-2001 "A provider with ID com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider was found, but is in the process of being invalidated. Retry later." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=A provider with ID com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider was found, but is in the process of being invalidated. Retry later., NSLocalizedDescription=The application cannot be used right now.}

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rws762, I hope you're doing well! 

When you say that you have issues opening these files, can you let me know what happens when you try to open them? Do you get any specific errors? 

Also, do you see the option to make them available offline, when you right click on them? 

As for the error you provided, can you perform an advanced re-install, and let me know if the issue persists?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rws762
Explorer | Level 3

When I double click on the files nothing happens. There is no option to make available offline and this may be due to the fact I cannot get Dropbox to start. Ultimately I want my files back on my Mac, and I have already made the Dropbox settings changes to start this.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rws762, just for clarification, did you perform the advanced re-installation that my colleague suggested?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

rws762
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I did the advanced uninstall/reinstall, Dropbox started (online files only off as I requested). Dropbox did a few weird stops and starts, after I let it do its thing overnight it appears the files are back on my Mac. Now it's giving me an alert to update Dropbox. Should I proceed? I have already done the same on an Intel Mac and it appears ok.  Thanks for the advice.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rws762, if you could give it a go, and then update us, that'd be lovely. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

rws762
Explorer | Level 3

I ran the Dropbox update and it appears all is where I want it and works. Thank you for the help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Awesome news @rws762!

If you need anything else let us know! ðŸ˜Ž

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    rws762 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?