cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Make offline files visible in the android filesystem

Make offline files visible in the android filesystem

andersmusikka
Helpful | Level 5

I think you should make files stored offline on Android available in the file system.

As it is now, the dropbox files marked as 'available offline' are hidden from the rest of the operating system. This gives a number of problems:

1: When opening a file in an app, that app may put the file path in its 'most recently used documents'-list. However, since the path it gets from the Dropbox-app is not long-lived, the 'most recently used documents'-list becomes unusable, since the links on it become dead rather quickly.

2: It makes using browsing apps, like photo viewers or podcast players, on your offline files impossible.

3: Some apps expect content to be found on the file system. For example, the samsung app used to download content onto a samsung smart watch, expects to find files in the file system. It cannot be used to download files from dropbox onto the smart watch.

4: Sometimes a smart phone is used a bit like a computer. Like uploading files to an FTP-server and the like. A FTP-client typically expects to find files on the file system, and allows them to be selected and uploaded. This does not work with Dropbox.

A possible  work-around is to export the contents from the dropbox offline folder onto the phones regular file system. This is unsatisfactory because:

1) It feels cumbersome. The number of clicks to send a podcast episode to a smart watch, or to download a .pdf from dropbox and upload to an FTP-server, becomes a few too many.

2) For files which can be edited (like password manager saves, various profiles, text documents etc), the user needs to remember to copy the file back to Dropbox, which is very error prone.

Dropbox obviously already has technology to synk a file system folder with dropbox. Could not this functionality be offered on smart phones also?

81 Replies 81

KKDavion
New member | Level 2

That this is functionality that was originally a part of the dropbox application that was taken away is a travesty, and the fact that I need to seek out a third-party application to reapply a feature that was originally a part of the application's service, go through a series of clunky steps that defeats the purpose of a cloud-based syncing storage system, or seek out a downgraded version of the application and never update the app again is horrendous app design, and unless this feature was causing some major security issues (in which case, more transparency is absolutely necessary in explaining this), removing it is absolutely a step back.

AfcFletcher
New member | Level 2

I signed up to this forum just to support this request. I cannot understand why this functionality was removed. Why are *my files* only accessible to me via the Dropbox app on my phone? Please restore the access to the file locations; it's enough of an annoyance to make me cancel a 10 year + subscription.

SpicyLemon
Helpful | Level 6

Android needs a full client, just like Windows, Mac, Linux, and even headless installs have.

The more I try to use Dropbox on my phone, the more unusable it becomes.

wdrd
New member | Level 2

+1 for someone signing up specifically to request this. Even if a subscriber's access to their offline files through the file system was previously predicated on a poorly-coded Android client, that is absolutely no reason to strip out functionality that customers rely on.

Also, now I have both an "offline" copy of the file I need in whatever unreadable proprietary database format the app relies on, plus the copy of the file that I had to download via "Save to device" in order to access it. Great resource utilisation, Dropbox dev team! 👍

Zarihs Zoltan
Explorer | Level 4

It I want files on my android phone I have to go to share then export then save on device can you make this easier so I can check my files in my phone gallery

MaxRavenclaw
Helpful | Level 7

It's been a while and there doesn't seem to be any interest on dropbox's side to add back this functionality. My yearly subscription ends in 2 or so months. Guess it's time to look into MEGA or Onedrive. What I liked about Dropbox was the Block-Level Upload, but since I'm using 3rd party apps to sync my music now with my android device, I'm having to waste time to scan the whole folder anyway, so it doesn't even matter anymore.

For whoever is interested about alternatives, MEGA is used as a big file sharing site a lot, so a subscription to them will help you get over their 4GB per day limit. And I think Onedrive also gives you Office. MEGA doesn't support syncing either, though. You still need to use a 3rd party app. Not sure about Onedrive. I think it does, but it's locked behind the subscription. Will investigate further.

merryt
Helpful | Level 5

the Autosync for Dropbox app seems to work, this might be a stop gap solution.

Thanks for doing the research on the alternative app MaxRavenclaw. Please let us know if you find an alternative service that works better. I am in a similar boat where plan runs out in a few months. Not really worth switching if that syncing piece isn't there though.  Let us know if you find something better. God speed!

rossmcm
Helpful | Level 5

Serious shortcoming of Dropbox.  I have a heap of MP3's stored with offline access enabled and I can't use a 3rd party app like VLC to scan for them.

MaxRavenclaw
Helpful | Level 7

Sadly it appears OneDrive doesn't have this functionality either, as far as I understand. MetaCtrl has apps for autosyncing for various services, including Dropbox, OneDrive, MEGA, and a bunch others, which makes me suspect none of these have it. Maybe that's why Dropbox doesn't care about the feature either. If the competition doesn't have it, why should they care? Certainly not because their customers request it.

In the meantime it appears OneDrive has block level up now too. And is has a sort of version history as well, as well as a rewind feature in case you have issues with the whole folder. Plus officer, for whoever's interested. I'm also considering GDrive for the extra photos space, and MEGA's nice and secure and gets you over that 4GB limit... I dunno, frankly given that none of them have this autosync feature which is what I'm really interested in, I might just end up staying with Dropbox out of convenience and inertia. I still have about a month to think about it.

Randy C.12
Helpful | Level 5

“Needs more votes”? Seriously? This is basic functionality of file storage.

I have used Dropbox to sync files between the various computers I use for years. I recently tried using an Android tablet as a Windows laptop substitute and discovered that I could not do any reasonable tasks with my files because Dropbox hid them even when offline.

Just let the user set a path to the Dropbox folder like on any other OS.

Need more support?