cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollout of new Mac Ventura Dropbox folder location (~/Library/CloudStorage) still ongoing?

Rollout of new Mac Ventura Dropbox folder location (~/Library/CloudStorage) still ongoing?

iancackett
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, I'm on Mac OS Ventura (13.0.1) and Dropbox v162.4.5419 (with a Dropbox Plus subscription) and everything is working smoothly... but, my Dropbox folder is still in "~/Dropbox"

As I understand it, the rollout of the move to ~/Library/CloudStorage is independent of Dropbox version number and is being coordinated user-by-user, so it's correct that some of us are still waiting to be prompted to make that move or have I been left behind?

Interested to hear if others are also still waiting. Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @iancackett, thanks for posting your question to our Community!

We are indeed currently still in the process of rolling out the updated Dropbox for macOS app, which will provide full support for online-only files. 

The update will not be rolled out to all Dropbox users at once, but rest assured you will receive a notification to update the app in the coming months.

To keep up to date with what is happening with the rollout, you can visit this page.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @iancackett, thanks for posting your question to our Community!

We are indeed currently still in the process of rolling out the updated Dropbox for macOS app, which will provide full support for online-only files. 

The update will not be rolled out to all Dropbox users at once, but rest assured you will receive a notification to update the app in the coming months.

To keep up to date with what is happening with the rollout, you can visit this page.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Yes, same here (161.4.4923)...waiting...and preparing for a possible move to Sync.com or pCloud if Dropbox will not reduce plans...

celina e.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a similar issue. I cannot change the location of Dropbox. And also I can no turn the online only files to Available off line! It´s crazy. Everything goes online all the time. I cannot take control on my Dropbox. 

gamespace
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same for me, files go randomly online (on my Mac with Ventura) and they should stay offline. Beyond frustrating!

miguelfvega
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same problem here. I used for a decade Dropbox as part of my workflow for availability and backups of my daily working files... I had to stop using Dropbox since they were only on the cloud, WTF. Hope they change this sometime.

skillet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How is this an upgrade by everything I read this is a downgrade. https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-faqs

This is not an upgrade at all this is a massive headache and just caused me hours and hours of work to recreate several symbolic links and issues across multiple OS since I can no longer upgrade some of my computers. There is nothing here that is beneficial and should be called a downgrade. Seeing packages as folders is not something I want and is not a feature I can do that with right clicking already. Please explain yourselves a bit more because other applications allow this, and dropbox currently works without this "upgrade." This is one of your most lame releases yet.

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@skilletWhat you can blame Dropbox for is poor communication and their delayed activities. But now they are finally just adapting to Apple's API requirements. You can neither blame Apple for their security improvements. I understand the frustration, because I was affected the same way, but I found alternatives meanwhile, but I cannot publish them here, because Dropbox deletes such posts that cheer for competitors. Off topic: I have completely deleted Dropbox from all devices now that Boxcryptor is no longer officially supported. I need zero-knowledge encryption! So I can no longer follow the progress myself, but today my brother finally got the request to move the Dropbox folder location. He did it after completely emptying the local Dropbox folder with selective sync, unchecking all files. This will speed up the move process and avoid file chaos on your Mac simply because there are no files in the local Dropbox folder at that time. Once the Dropbox folder move is complete, you can undo the selective sync and download everything back to your Mac. I know this will not solve your problems, but it will at least ensure that Dropbox does not create a mess on your device.

Jacques Simard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need help Please, cannot find my files

Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @Jacques Simard, let's get into this! 

Can you kindly give me some additional info, as to what you're experiencing? 

You mentioned that you can't find your files. Are you checking locally, in your Dropbox folder or online? Where did you see these files before?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    mwhdvm Helpful | Level 5
    jaohar Helpful | Level 7
    tomabarker New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?