cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I completely disable ".dropbox.device" files from being created on my external

Stop creating a file (.dropbox.device) on every device I connect to my pc!

bob99
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Simple solution had at least an option in the settings to disable this feature.

I red a lot of messages in this community going back over a year now... and I understand why it's being created to help your software with notification... but I am sure their is a better way of doing this without writing an unwanted file on every external device.

54 Replies 54

Scorps
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is ridiculous! Stop littering my (and other people's) drives! Disabling the attached option does not help. Any solutions?

Screenshot 2022-02-22 14.03.14.png

drumuser
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I agree!

This is totally unacceptable, why the HELL does dropbox need to add it's files to devices??? Please stop this. Dropbox should use the "My Dropbox" folder and it's internal Programs locations and nothing else.

drumuser
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

here is the screenshot, I inserted a USB stick today 24/02/2022 and dropbox app created that .dropbox.device file:

drumuser_0-1645721109712.png

And I have the option to ask about backing up devices UNCHECKED.

please stop this behaviour

MrTom
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I use Dropbox for my business on my Windows PC. I repair tech and computers and I plug devices into my computer all the time. I'm trying to transfer my customer's data to a 1TB USB drive. A while after I plug it in I see a ".dropbox.device" file created on my customer's USB drive.

There's no option in Dropbox (Backups->Camera Upload) or online to disable ALL camera uploads. Just "Photos Only" and "Photos and Videos". I also tried changing my AutoPlay in Windows 10 since there's a link in Settings, and that didn't work either. I delete the file, eject the drive, then reinsert the drive and it gets created again!

Sometimes I do NOT WANT ANY FILE TO BE WRITTEN TO A DRIVE at all! If these drives had a write protect switch, I would use it, but they don't.

How can I make Dropbox stop writing to my external drives without having to close Dropbox while I work, then run Dropbox when I'm done?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, @MrTom, how are you today? 

Can you send over a screenshot of the settings you've applied after clicking "Change AutoPlay Settings" in the Backups tab of the app preferences? 

Thank you so much!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MrTom
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan  Well I don't use the Dropbox app, I use the Dropbox software for Windows. These are my Windows Auto Play settings.

autoplay.png

mailmail2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Serious Bug Issue Feb 2022 with dropbox windows client creates .dropbox.device in all USB devices it does not follow or honor any windows 11 settings. Admins please inform the developer of windows exe to have a proper test with windows and to check for bugs to not create  .dropbox.device  file in all drives connected via usb 

The setting to disable this does not work properly on dropbox windows 11 client. Autoplay in windows is disabled / still this file gets created in usbs

sample issues raised before with no proper solutions 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/What-is-dropbox-device/td-p/532122

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/dropbox-device-getting-installed-on-my-USB/td-...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Stop-creating-a-file-dropbox-device-on...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mailmail2 wrote:

Serious Bug Issue Feb 2022 with dropbox windows client creates .dropbox.device in all USB devices ...

This is not a bug and is the intended behavior. Dropbox uses this file to remember your backup/import preferences for that device.

mailmail2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

have you tested the usecase before replying ? The setting to disable this is not working. Please don't jump the gun

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @MrTom, & @mailmail2!

Would it be okay for me to reach out to you via email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?