cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a number of folders set as "Make available offline" on my iPad. Generally this works fine, but sometimes I get the yellow exclamation mark icon and "Refresh to update".  Can someone please tell me what "Refresh to update" means - there is no refresh button and no refresh option in the menu. What am I supposed to do??? 

61 Replies 61

DB_Is_Broken
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox is still broken.

This issue is not fixed if a user has to go into each and every subfolder...and I have tried this and it does not work on every folder.  Some just can't be synced anymore.

The update in June broke the functionality and it has yet to be fixed.

The subscription price should be adjusted to reflect the services users are paying for, but are not receiving.

There are other providers out there...I will be switching.

cgh001
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That might work for you in a subfolder but it doesn’t for me (also on iPad and VERY frustrated by this LONG standing issue) and it certainly doesn’t address the issue when it refers to an individual file.

I’ve been a Dropbox Premium user since almost Dropbox launched and this issue is absurd - one of the worst I’ve seen with them and it’s been around far too long. C’mon guys WTF!?!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey peeps, thank you for your ongoing reports on this!

@DB_Is_Broken, apologies for missing your post here. I just wanted to let you know that I was able to locate your support request and have passed your comments to the member of my team reviewing this for you. 

@cgh001, I'll do my best to help out on this.

As a first step, could you please let me know if you've tried going to the Manage Offline Files option in your Account tab and tapping on the refresh icon that's on the top right corner of your screen?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mfalkvidd
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I went to Account - Offline files and pressed the circle-arrow button, but there is still an yellow exclamation mark.

D5FED4A0-4377-4394-92C8-6A02602ED502.png

Pan054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

We’re now on version 166.2 on iPad, using the latest OS and the problem is still there, or getting worse.  Directories that were downloaded (green icon), seem to be downloaded again.  The refresh suggestion does not seem to do anything useful.  going into all subdirectories is not always a viable solution, maybe a fairly coarse bandaid.

Any chance of some useful feedback about the status of this problem and estimated solution time for your paying customers?

DJC1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is a problem that has been around on Dropbox for years, and yet when you call them, they seem to be perplexed about the issue.

I have described for them the exact issue which is described here.  I have upgraded to Business Advanced, I have reinstalled the App.

The problem is that if I happen to be out of internet connectivity when Dropbox gives the Yellow Exclamation point, then it shows NONE of my files.  The reason I want a local copy on the iPad is so that I have a version of the document when I can't be connected to the Internet.  

Dropbox needs to resolve this issue.  

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks for your reports!

The team is aware and looking into this. Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Peachey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

C’mon... it’s now been 8 months and this issue still isn’t resolved! I reckon I’m going to give it another 2 weeks before I cancel my account and move over to another provider. This is a key feature, but it doesn't even work 😞

Pan054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Indeed, nothing seems to happen.  Some more info:  many of the 'permanent' files on my ipad seem to be reloaded over and over again, even if NO changes were made to the files at all.

Enjoy Xmas, hopefully this gets resolved before the next one, but I'm not holding my breath (anymore).

DB_Is_Broken
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Lusil, this has been a problem for many people including myself for a long time now.

You all over at Dropbox have enough info from all the complaints.  You know this is a problem

You have a feature that people are paying for that is not working.

Fix it, or just flat out tell people that Dropbox has made a consious business descision to no longer support this feature and stop wasting people's time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TechnoAmeoba New member | Level 2
    dret New member | Level 2
    Peachey Helpful | Level 5
    Pan054 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?