cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the MacOS Update be forced on users to move to Users/xxxx/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox ?

When will the MacOS Update be forced on users to move to Users/xxxx/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox ?

E_d
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The new MacOS update that moves Dropbox to Users/xxxx/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox is causing a massive issue as all the excel files that are linked to other Dropbox files now no longer work as the links are still to Users/xxxx/Dropbox  - so I assume that I have to update every link in every file to the new Dropbox file path? This affects hundreds of excel files and tens of thousands of links... is there any work around to this?

Secondly, I know that it is being rolled out and available to Mac users to update to this new version of Dropbox. However, what happens if people ignore this? At some point will Dropbox get automatically updated to this new version, without the user choosing to do so? And if so, when will this happen please?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Ok so I downgraded by simply uninstalling Dropbox (removing old Dropbox folder after that) then downloading fresh and reinstalling.

Now I ignore the upgrade message that pops up to move all files to cloudstorage folder

Spotlight is working and so is finding files in finder - Dropbox online customer service are genuinely hopeless individuals who’ve probably never used cloud services before (perhaps at the most basic level)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox customer service are useless - this new version has fu**ed my entire system.

Spotlight doesn't work, searching in finder doesn't work, they've ruined it,

How do we downgrade to the last working version?

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Ok so I downgraded by simply uninstalling Dropbox (removing old Dropbox folder after that) then downloading fresh and reinstalling.

Now I ignore the upgrade message that pops up to move all files to cloudstorage folder

Spotlight is working and so is finding files in finder - Dropbox online customer service are genuinely hopeless individuals who’ve probably never used cloud services before (perhaps at the most basic level)

vomkelter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is the truth. Not being able to search contents and through the finder makes this version of Dropbox worthless for Mac users.

E_d
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks - I had tried uninstalling and downloading again but it hadn't worked - however removing the old dropbox folder after that seems to have done the trick. 

I wonder how long we can ignore the upgrade message from - hopefully long enough to work out an alternative platform, as this 'upgrade' renders it largely useless for me

Thanks for your help!

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Yeah it will be irritating until Dropbox remove it or offer an option to hide it,
Just glad everything is working now as it was before

E_d
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Irritating I can deal with - my concern is that they force the upgrade on us and then we're screwed again! 

Visual Rhythm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

i cannot even believe they think this is acceptable behavior

mjweav
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Absolutely terrible way to drop a bomb on long term users that have thousands of file/folder references to the standard (old) location. 

I really hope a smoother option (sym links) or something can be used.   They also do not explain their rationale for doing this.  I am also very steamed about what I understand to be that after the migration, all files will be defaulted to "offline"... this is ALSO a huge problem being imposed upon users. 

I'm so ticked off right now...... thankfully I HAVE NOT YET taken the Update and will hold off as long as possible in hopes that all of this user feedback will force a rethink or better solution.   What a nightmare... (Excel links, Paper Links FCPX Libraries, production team sharing/upload system) all will get massively impacted to the tune of HUNDREDS OF HOURS trying to find/sort out the issues.    Not fun...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mjweav New member | Level 2
    Visual Rhythm Helpful | Level 6
    E_d Helpful | Level 5
    dragononamac Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?