cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cat prints old version of file

cat prints old version of file

underlap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am using Dropbox v169.4.5684 on macOS 12.6.3. In a terminal session with current directory in a Dropbox directory, I copied a file from a sibling directory using the cp command. I edited and saved the file (using vscode). The edited version of the file is visible to vscode and at least two other programs. The edited file has also been uploaded to the Dropbox server. The Dropbox icon shows that syncing is complete.

However, if I print the contents of the file using the cat utility (in /bin/cat - built in to macOS), it shows the version of the file before I edited it. I have tried rebooting the computer and the behaviour persists. I wonder if there is a problem with the Dropbox filesystem. It seems very unlikely that there is a bug in cat.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @underlap, if you create a copy of one of those files somewhere outside the Dropbox folder, are you still seeing the same behavior?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @underlap, thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please let us know if this happens to files that available offline to your computer or ones that are online only?

Also, do you see the updated version on our website? 

Any additional information or screenshots you can share are more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

underlap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for responding @Walter.

I'm not sure whether the file in question is available offline or online only. Right clicking on the file or any of its containing directories (inside the Dropbox folder) offers two (ungreyed) options "Make available offline" and "Make online-only", so that doesn't give me a clue. I can't see anything in the settings relating to this choice. (I'm sure I remember that option somewhere in an earlier version of Dropbox.)

Make available offline and Make online options are both availableMake available offline and Make online options are both available

The updated version is indeed present on the website, so syncing is working fine.

Since you asked for screenshots, here are two taken in quick succession. The first shows the output from `cat names.hs`:

Output of cat showing the old version of the fileOutput of cat showing the old version of the file

and the second shows the output of running `vi names.hs`:

Output of vi showing the new version of the fileOutput of vi showing the new version of the file

Other editors such as vscode and emacs show the new version of the file, so there is something different about the way `cat` is accessing the file.

I checked `which cat` and it's the system provided utility at `/bin/cat`

underlap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I did an experiment. I tried setting another file which exhibits the same problem first of all to "Make available offline" and then to "Make online-only". I tried `cat` again in both of these states and the old version of the file was still displayed.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @underlap, if you create a copy of one of those files somewhere outside the Dropbox folder, are you still seeing the same behavior?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

underlap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Hannah Yes I do see the same error and...

Actually, it's a user error on my part! I'd forgotten that I'd put a lot of whitespace in the middle of the original file. So `cat` was simply displaying the end of the file and the editor was displaying the top of the file. All is ok and I'm so sorry for wasting people's time!

Have you heard the expression PEBKAC ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair")?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Don't even worry about it, I'm glad you got to the bottom of this @underlap

If you need anything else you know where to find us!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    underlap Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?