cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS Siri Shortcuts, Using “Get File” With Dropbox

iOS Siri Shortcuts, Using “Get File” With Dropbox

nuwen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m trying to use Siri Shortcuts on iOS 12 to share photos using a shared Dropbox folder. I’ve written a workflow that successfully saves selected photos from the iOS Photos app (or elsewhere) to a specific folder in Dropbox. The problem I’m running into is on the other end when I attempt to write a workflow that selects all photos from this folder and saves them to iOS Photos. It appears as though the “Get File” action in Siri Shortcuts doesn’t properly retrieve all files contained in a prespecified File Path when this action is used with a Dropbox location. Instead, the action returns a mostly white JPG with the name of the referenced folder displayed in the upper left hand corner. By contrast, “Get File” actions pointed at a specific iCloud Drive File Path properly return the contents of that folder. Am I doing something wrong or is Dropbox just not compatible with iOS Files / Siri Shortcuts?

Thanks,

Ben

B26F67B5-3DE5-4D37-BABD-BDD19EFA85FD.jpeg

31 Replies 31

palcaide
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes, you're right. Shortcuts access to Dropbox folders is not working right now. Sorry. It seems to be a bug derived from the update to IOS 14.

I found several commentaries in reddit forums reporting the same problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/comments/iyvhq2/ipaos_14_how_to_get_files_from_folder_in_dropbox/

https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/comments/ivgxp3/get_random_item_from_dropbox_no_longer_works_in/

This kind of bugs use to be quickly fixed. I hope so.

RichTack
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have been having the same problem. It started in the first public beta of iOS 14 and it continues today - both in 14.1 and in 14.2 Beta 4 for the public. 

When using the "Get File" action in Shortcuts, the action only returns the name of the Folder that was originally selected. I have tried Signing Out and Signing back in through Shortcuts. I have also tried signing out, deleting the Dropbox app, restarting the device, redownloading the app, signing in on the app and then signing in through Shortcuts. Nothing so far.

Would love any suggestions. I'm getting ready to move everything over to iCloud, which I would very much prefer not to do - it's why I decided to pay to upgrade Dropbox earlier this year! 🙂 

AlanWd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the same problem, which arose also with an iOS upgrade a year or two ago. That time is was fixed in the first ".1" update I think - this time its still not fixed in 14.2. My most useful shortcuts no longer work and I have had to stop using Dropbox - again.

Tanager
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same issue here with ios 14.2.1 Shortcut to Get File(s) to merge PDFs no longer shows a list of files to select. It shows the list of folders in Dropbox, but won’t advance to the files themselves.

Tanager
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
But it’s not a problem on iPad iOS 13.7

Thomas M.67
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same for me ... issue is still there with the 14.3 ... super frustrating, breaking my workflow here 😞

I don't know if it is a Dropbox or an Apple issue. 

Any aknowledgment here?

Thx

Thomas

Thomas M.67
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

..and the same with my pro paid account of course

AlanWd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Given up with Dropbox as a result of this - am using the Ninox iCloud instead, which works fine. Had a number of Ninox scripts using Dropbox but have rewritten everything to avoid Dropbox from now on as this seems to be a recurring issue with every major iOS upgrade. Previous ones have been fixed rapidly, but this one has gone on far too long.

Thomas M.67
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'll probabky move to iCloud too because of this

palcaide
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes, it's a pity. I did the same (moving to icloud drive) last year.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

amni1122 Explorer | Level 3
    RichTack Explorer | Level 3
    palcaide Helpful | Level 7
    Thomas M.67 New member | Level 2
    AlanWd Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?