cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox failed to uninstall

"Dropbox failed to uninstall" on Win10

arrysaa
Explorer | Level 3

Trying to uninstall Dropbox Client in my Win 10 Home edition n the uninstallation process incompletes with "Dropbox failed to uninstall" n try to remove manually n reinstall it also ends up with the same error. Already follow the steps from previous post in Dropbox Community, still no luck. Can please help......

33 Replies 33

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you the advanced reinstallation steps again, and ensure that any Dropbox folder with the installation is empty first?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

arrysaa
Explorer | Level 3

The folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox is already empty before continuing with the installation of "Dropbox 194.4.6267 Offline Installer.x86" and try the 2nd time with "Dropbox 193.4.5594 Offline Installer.x86" - it still ends up the error message as previously shared.

Image 1c.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @arrysaa, sorry to jump in, just wanted a clarification.

Are you at this point after trying the advanced reinstall process Jay suggested, or after the previous steps you'd already followed?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

arrysaa
Explorer | Level 3

I manage to uninstall Dropbox Desktop Client with the help of RevoUninstaller tool which previously I can't uninstall it. After that, I want to install back Dropbox Desktop Client trying with 2 different stable version - "Dropbox 194.4.6267 Offline Installer.x86" and "Dropbox 193.4.5594 Offline Installer.x86" and I always end up the same error message

Image 1.jpg

Image 1a.jpg

I follow the info as mentioned in the error message - " ..... vcruntime140.dll was not found." in that specified folder and actually such file exists in that folder as shown in the snapshot below 

Image 1b.jpg 

I am clueless of what else to do ..... please help .....

Jay
Dropbox Staff

What is the exact version of Windows 10 that you're running on your machine?

Is this a company-managed device, or your personal machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

arrysaa
Explorer | Level 3

Am running Windows 10 Home Edition and it's my personal machine ....

arrysaa
Explorer | Level 3

Image 4a.jpg

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello @arrysaa 

Could you please try the following?

1. Download ProcessMonitor from the Microsoft website (SysInternals)

2. When ProcessMonitor starts, in the "Process Monitor Filter" window set the following filters:

• "Process Name" "is" "Dropbox.exe" then "Include" -> click "Add"
  • "Path" "contains" "vcruntime140.dll" then "Include" -> click "Add"

3. Click "OK" 

DBoxTips_0-1710966216509.png

4. Press Ctrl+X on your keyboard to clear the logs

5. Start Dropbox

6. Take a screenshot of what the logs in ProcessMonitor show after trying to start Dropbox. Please make sure the "Result" column is visible in the screenshot.

7. Reply to this forum thread with the screenshot.

Performing the above steps should help us figure out why Dropbox is not able to locate that DLL on your computer.

Looking forward to your reply,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

arrysaa
Explorer | Level 3

Just install Dropbox Desktop Client Dropbox 194.4.6267 Offline Installer.x86 - the installation is complete but when I execute Dropbox.exe - the same error message still appears 

Image 9ca.jpg

So I can't monitor Dropbox.exe via ProcessMonitor tools as it doesn't get loaded - only DropboxCrashHandler.exe and DropboxUpdate.exe loaded. 

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8
Thank you for trying that. Since you didn’t attach the screenshot of the logs list in the ProcessMonitor, does this mean the list was empty?

If so, could you please try removing the “Process Name” “is” “Dropbox.exe” filter in Process Monitor, clear the logs (Ctrl+X) then try starting Dropbox once again and let me know if the logs list in Process Monitor is still empty?

Please note the Process Monitor is just a tool to monitor your attempts of starting Dropbox. Even if Dropbox cannot get started, the attempts of Windows to load vcruntime140.dll needed for starting Dropbox should still be logged in Process Monitor.

Could you please try that and send a screenshot of the logs list from Process Monitor?

Thanks,
Andrew (DBoxTips)
Need more support?