cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 2 Different Photo Sizes in Camera Uploads

2 Different Photo Sizes in Camera Uploads

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Why do I always get 2 different sizes of the same photo in Dropbox camera uploads, eg. 
2022-10-07 13.37.54-1.heic and
2022-10-07 13.37.54-2.heic
I have one photo showing in my iOS Photos app but 2 different file sizes with the same name ending -1 and -2 are always uploaded to Dropbox camera uploads. 
Why is this? And how can I stop this happening?
Thanks
16 Replies 16

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay thanks I'll test removing one of them. One of them is a narrower photo (with the left and right sides pulled in a little). Do you know why there is a difference in the sizes that are uploaded with each one and what the difference is?

And which it would be best to untick based on this size difference - the desktop or phone app?

Thank you

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There shouldn't be a difference in the images, unless importing them to your machine directly changes the photo.

Try disabling one to see which image shape is uploaded.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok I'll test it thanks.

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay I tested it and you were right. The iPhone imports the photos into Camera uploads at the same size as in the iOS Photos app photos. When the Mac Dropbox preferences are ticked, it uploads the same photo again but with more of the photo showing on the left and right in portrait and top and bottom of the photo in landscape photos.

Why is this?

Firstly, the photos shouldn't be imported twice when camera uploads is enabled on iPhone and on Mac.

And secondly, why are the photos that are imported to Camera uploads when Mac Dropbox preferences are enabled showing more of the photo than when Camera uploads is enabled in iPhone Dropbox preferences?

And which is the "correct" size?

Btw do you work for Dropbox or are you solely a forum member of the public?

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The photos would be imported twice, because they are separate instances of the camera upload feature. The mobile version doesn't know what files the desktop version has uploaded, and vice versa, so only one should be enabled at any time.

If the Mac uploads are showing more of the image somehow, then it must be related to how the image is stored on the phone, since your iOS Photos app isn't showing the full image either (before the images go onto Dropbox). 

The correct size would be up to you, though they should be both the same size, unless there is some other file manipulation going on the background when the photo is taken on iOS.

As for me, I am a Dropboxer who helps to moderate and respond to users on the forum.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay thanks yes strange though as I tested it again and the frame size that I shot the photo in is the same as that in iOS Photos app and that uploaded by iOS app. Somehow the Mac app upload shows more of the photo than what was shown when taking the photo.

Anyway thank you again for your help and getting to the bottom of this.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, glad to have helped out, enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?