cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin and other users removed their access and now I can't get into shared folder

Admin and other users removed their access and now I can't get into shared folder

ByTheWillow
Explorer | Level 4

My accountants created a shared folder which I never accessed (I got busy and completely forgot about it which is on me).  They then removed themselves from the folder and said they made me the owner.  

1. How can I be the owner if I never accepted the invitation?

2. When I try to access it now, it says that I am not the owner of the folder and I need to request access. I have now twice requested access to no avail.

How can I find out who the new owner is of the Dropbox?  This is so frustrating because I need to access the documents and the accountants say that they removed their access so they can't assist me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

@ByTheWillow wrote:

Hi Hannah,
If I didn't accept the invitation and they removed their access, then who becomes the owner?

Nobody becomes the owner. The folder will now not have an owner at all. 

And I've just noticed that you were sent this in 2018 meaning the folder is 5 years old. It is therefore very, very likely they have not got the folder in their own account anymore (i.e. they deleted it to recover space) meaning its now no longer recoverable. Free accounts can restore for 30 days, paid 180. After that the files are permanently unrecoverable.

My guess here is unless the company can resend you a copy of the files from their own data/archives you have lost them I'm afraid.  

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @ByTheWillow, thanks for joining our Community.

This is a tricky situation, but let's see what we can find out.

If you go to your shared tab on dropbox.com, do you see the folder there? If you do, it should have a "join folder" button on the right, when you hover over it.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ByTheWillow
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah!

Thank you for your speedy response!  I only created a Dropbox account last week using the email address that they shared the folder to so I don't know if that would also make a difference?

There is nothing under shared folders. 

So what happens to the Dropbox folder if the users removed their access?  I know I dropped the ball on this, but I feel they should've double-checked whether I had access before removing theirs. This is such a dilemma now 😞

Mark
Super User II

Hi @ByTheWillow 

Can the people who sent you this rejoin it via www.dropbox.com/share ? 

However, I suspect the only way to sort this mess will be for you to get them to create and share a new folder with you. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ByTheWillow
Explorer | Level 4

I will try asking them again.  But this is my fault, I should've accepted the invitation back in 2018 instead of forgetting about it.  Should start following my own advice: "do it, then it's done".

ByTheWillow
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah,

Do you perhaps have another solution for me?  I don't think the owners of the original folder are very keen to spend more time on this so I don't really want to contact them.  Why is the folder saying that it'll ask the owner to allow sharing the folder with me?  If I didn't accept the invitation and they removed their access, then who becomes the owner?

Mark
Super User II

@ByTheWillow wrote:

Hi Hannah,
If I didn't accept the invitation and they removed their access, then who becomes the owner?

Nobody becomes the owner. The folder will now not have an owner at all. 

And I've just noticed that you were sent this in 2018 meaning the folder is 5 years old. It is therefore very, very likely they have not got the folder in their own account anymore (i.e. they deleted it to recover space) meaning its now no longer recoverable. Free accounts can restore for 30 days, paid 180. After that the files are permanently unrecoverable.

My guess here is unless the company can resend you a copy of the files from their own data/archives you have lost them I'm afraid.  

ByTheWillow
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Mark!  Ja they deleted their access last year so then it's definitely gone.  I appreciate your help with this.  We live, we learn!  Thanks again 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ByTheWillow Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?