cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backup folder name change

Backup folder name change

the_ood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello! I have 2 macs, one personal and one for work. Both had backup enabled and when I went online, I saw both computers' backup directories. The directories were both in the format of "My Mac (computername)" However, recently I disabled the Dropbox backup on my work laptop because I didn't think it would be wise to backup my work stuff to Dropbox. But I was subsequently told it was OK, so I re-enabled the backup. While everything was uploaded to Dropbox just fine, the name of the work laptop backup directory is now simply "Mac (2)". I would like to rename the folder to the "My Mac" format I previously had, but it is not letting me rename the folder. Any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance.

42 Replies 42

rocketmanblamb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
To be clear
I am a Dropbox user just like yourself, I only offer this as an effective solution.

As to whether Dropbox breaks it or not…
Well I would use the second method I propose and then you just have symlinks in your home directory to folders that are being synced like any other folder in Dropbox

It avoids any of the “Backup” terminology and setup… you have just provided yourself with a handy link for yourself.

I’ll admit it requires willingness to use the terminal and really shouldn’t be necessary for such a simple concept.

We’re you able to see the link contents from my post? With the instructions near the end…..
```bash
[my prompt is a '→' and the current directory prepends the prompt sign]

~ → IFS="::"
[Set a custom separator character so spaces can be used in directory names]
~ → COMPUTER_BACKUP_DIR="My Mac (MacBook Pro 13)"
~ → mkdir ~/Dropbox/$COMPUTER_BACKUP_DIR/Desktop
~ → cp -r ./Desktop/. ~/Dropbox/$COMPUTER_BACKUP_DIR/Desktop
OR (I prefer rsync)
~ → rsync -a ./Desktop/. ~/Dropbox/$COMPUTER_BACKUP_DIR/Desktop

```

the_ood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After over a year since my original post, it's good to see that there is more interest in this issue. In the past year I ended up replacing a Mac with another, which is now labeled "Mac (9)" as my backup directory, so this is truly annoying as heck. Hopefully this will be considered. 

Question for Dropbox product people - is this even on the roadmap? If so, estimate of when it'll be addressed?

Thanks!

bensanti
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This issue has caused me all sorts of problems too.

I have two computers; a desktop and a laptop, both of which are backed up using DropBox.

Where both backups are simply labelled as 'Mac' and "Mac2', I have no clarification which is the iMac and which is the MacBook Pro.

Whilst on my MBP, I tried to sync a folder from my iMac, but I inadvertently synced the MCP, thus creating a folder of the laptop on the same laptop. This somehow completely rewired the routing on my laptop and created alias folder of all my fundamental folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, etc.). It also gave itself priority so if I export something to the Desktop, it actually goes to the alias folder; Dropbox > Mac2 > Desktop. 

I can't even begin to tell you the problems this has caused me, all of which could have been very easily avoided if only we were able to name the backups in DropBox to make things crystal clear. 

Come on DropBox, please sort it out! 

tomtalks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That is not fair we are not able to change names of program and makes your program unusable for that feature for businesses that have multiple computers they do not all want named the same.

tomtalks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Seems we should use better cloud storage

Mummywoman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I often have several MacBooks at home, plus several other Mac devices. To differentiate between them I give them character names. These names appear on programs like Find My, which makes it much easier to tell my devices apart. However, on Dropbox, backups are named after the generic device types; their unique custom names doesn't transfer, so I'm left wondering which of my MacBook desktop backups I'm looking at on Dropbox. Being able to automatically transfer devices' unique names to Dropbox - or at least manually type them in - would be an improvement.

seanscottusa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Hannah, I have this exact same issue, only for me I upgraded to a new Mac, and now the old one is Mac and the new one is Mac (2). It's really frustrating! Hope y'all can fix this so we can edit the computer names soon!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @seanscottusa, thanks for the feedback on this one!

I just wanted to mention that this is already in the works as some backups and backup folders are currently able to be renamed. 

We are currently working to upgrade all backups to have similar functionality.

If you'd like to track this idea, you can have a look here

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

seanscottusa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Fantastic news, thanks!

mathydv
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I know there already exists quite some discussions on this, but wanted to create a new one just to (try to) raise the importance of this request.
It's unbelievable that after more than 3 years (!!) we are still not able to rename OUR own backup folders in Dropbox.

Need more support?