cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup folder name change

Backup folder name change

the_ood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello! I have 2 macs, one personal and one for work. Both had backup enabled and when I went online, I saw both computers' backup directories. The directories were both in the format of "My Mac (computername)" However, recently I disabled the Dropbox backup on my work laptop because I didn't think it would be wise to backup my work stuff to Dropbox. But I was subsequently told it was OK, so I re-enabled the backup. While everything was uploaded to Dropbox just fine, the name of the work laptop backup directory is now simply "Mac (2)". I would like to rename the folder to the "My Mac" format I previously had, but it is not letting me rename the folder. Any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance.

42 Replies 42

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tuxfan wrote:

Has this been fixed yet?

No. It is working as designed.

jmccarley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is ridiculous. I just got 2 new Mac's and expected them to be in the same naming convention as all my other Mac backups "My Mac (JSMs-MBP.local)" but now I cannot tell which Mac is 1 or 2. Why would you change this simple feature!?!

the_ood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
This has been going on for a few years now. Dropbox isn’t paying attention to the fact that many users are complaining about this issue. And I don’t buy that this is working as described.

Sören V.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Great Dropbox

You lost another customer here.
In 2 years not being able to ONLY put a "feature" of renaming a **bleep** folder is just ridiculous!
Bla bla bla since 2 whole years.
Hi Google, here I come!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone, I hope you’re all doing well. 

At the moment, we have a relevant idea that’s open here, so if you’re interested, you can definitely vote for it.

This will really help our team have a clearer image of what you need, and look into this further.

Hope this helps!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

the_ood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
That suggestion has been out there for almost two years and has 41 votes. So this isn’t something recent. So to everyone on this thread - VOTE on the suggestion Nancy posted above. The more votes, the more Dropbox’s product people will pay attention to it.

janquirin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

as i paid 650 euro for a business account, i cant really get a grasp on why i cant define my mac backup folder so its alligning with my number-based foldertree

rocketmanblamb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I created a doc explaining how this could be done -- with some willingness to use the terminal and be responsible for your changes

https://brianlamb.notion.site/Methods-for-Custom-Backup-Folder-Name-f0426632c9044ab5bb3c52a0ec74ca50

Derek Erb Solutions
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have gone to the link in your message and I have clicked on the Vote for this idea -> button. But nothing happens.

This item definitely needs to move up in their priorities.

Derek Erb Solutions
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Although I appreciate the workaround to be able to modify the symbolic links through Terminal commands...

1. We shouldn't have to do this!
  2. There are always risks with Terminal commands
  3. As these are unsupported commands they can always be broken by any Dropbox upgrades

This problem has been around for a long time and Dropbox needs to reprioritise the problem in their software update planning

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Derek Erb Solutions Helpful | Level 6
    the_ood Helpful | Level 6
    mathydv Helpful | Level 5
    seanscottusa New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?