cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Dropbox Backup location/name (macOS)

Change Dropbox Backup location/name (macOS)

rocketmanblamb
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

I'm trying to get my Dropbox backups synchronized and more sensibly labeled.

As I connect more computers they get various names attributed to the "Backup Folders" that are created in Dropbox.

At times these names are either a bit ambiguous "Mac (5)" or lose their original meaning (Macbook Pro 13 ..... MacBook Pro 2020)  as I transfer to a new computer (transferring Account data carries over all of the Dropbox settings of course.)

Is there a way to change the Backup folder?

I have tried removing my Dropbox install....

deleting: Application Support/Dropbox

removing .dropbox folders and files

uninstalling / reinstalling

renaming the computer

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Backup-folder-name-change/td-p/531996/page/2

Is there any chance this will be possible?

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rocketmanblamb, thanks for reaching out to us.

At the moment, there's no way to either move or rename the backup folders, I'm afraid.

I will however pass your comments along to our team about this, so thank you for your feedback here.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rocketmanblamb
Helpful | Level 6

Here is a method to enable a custom computer folder name for "backups" of User home folder directories.

https://brianlamb.notion.site/Methods-for-Custom-Backup-Folder-Name-f0426632c9044ab5bb3c52a0ec74ca50

Not 'supported' by Dropbox but it will work, I have used it before documenting this here.

weejohnstons
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 07.47.25.png

I have a few mac devices on my home setup and would like to rename them to be something more meaningful, or even match the names Apple gives them.  For example, 'Mac (4)' is my new macbook, but you can see here it's just listed as number 4 device.  I've tried renaming in Apple, but as it doesn't match anyway, changing those setting doesn't have any effect.  Any ideas?  

Rich
Super User II

@weejohnstons wrote:

I have a few mac devices on my home setup and would like to rename them to be something more meaningful ...

You can't. Previously they would appear with the name that the computer had when the backup option was enabled, but that changed quite a while ago. Now they're simply listed as Mac (2), Mac (3), Mac (4) or PC (2), PC (3), PC (4), with no way to change it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    weejohnstons Explorer | Level 3
    rocketmanblamb Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?