cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cloud icon with arrow on some folders/files (Mac issue)

Cloud icon with arrow on some folders/files (Mac issue)

boroman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am working with dropbox for over 8 years but since last few weeks some sci-fi things are blocking my workflow with dropbox. I saw cloud icon w/arrow pointing down next to some (random) folders & files. those files are not available when I switch off wifi. I can't find any option in the settings to switch off that. I still have lots of free storage space. I need to have everything offline on every device.

I think it came with the last update. It's reall a mess.

How do I turn it off?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @boroman, welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

It sounds like you updated to new version of the desktop app for Mac OS and you're referring to online only files/folders.  

Note that a cloud icon with a down arrow means your file or folder is synced and online-only until it is opened. 

“Synced” means that any changes you make to this file or folder are reflected everywhere you access your files in Dropbox. “Online-only” means that you’ll need to be connected to the internet to initially open this file or folder. Once opened, this file or folder will become available in the desktop app to be opened at any time.

Also note that you can adjust your syncing settings through the app's preferences under the Sync tab, if needed. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @boroman, welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

It sounds like you updated to new version of the desktop app for Mac OS and you're referring to online only files/folders.  

Note that a cloud icon with a down arrow means your file or folder is synced and online-only until it is opened. 

“Synced” means that any changes you make to this file or folder are reflected everywhere you access your files in Dropbox. “Online-only” means that you’ll need to be connected to the internet to initially open this file or folder. Once opened, this file or folder will become available in the desktop app to be opened at any time.

Also note that you can adjust your syncing settings through the app's preferences under the Sync tab, if needed. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

boroman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter and many thanks for replying

I have never changed my preferences - but I went to check it and yes, everything is as it was before, all folders "synced" but still, some of them reamin with the cloud/arrow symbol. what should I do?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You can simply right-click on them and mark them to be available offline @boroman 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

boroman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The question is - why they radnomly appear with the cloud on my iMac and Macbook (different files/folders)? I, of course will click everything to be downloaded now and no cloud icon is present, but I bet tomorrow when I open the computer some other folders will have same issue. This wasn't happening before the update, ever... I wish I can go back to the simple dropbox use as always 😞

anding
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Me too. In my MacBook when I upload a file from my iPhone, I see the file on MacBook "online" (cloud with arrow down). If I want to see the file offline I must open it.

I don't know why

alexhamburg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

...seems solved: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Mac-gt-New-files-with-cloud-icon-How-to-set.... Right click, mark as offline, done. Still confused why you can´t do this in the settings tab

Hi, same here and this is really frustrating. After updating to Dropbox v168.4.4802 where the move to

/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox happened, offline files are not working properly. And manually doing this every time is not a permanent workaround! Can someone from the team please help out, thanks!

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-27 um 10.43.37.png

TheOldman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's a mess. I upgraded to beta and I have files showing:

• Cloud with arrow
  • Cloud (solid)
  • Cloud (dotted)
  • Green (checked) icon in combinations with all previous three types of cloud

I f the file is in solid cloud, I can't open it...! even though I just created it on my Powerbook... I can't figure out what's going on, I had to log into my DropBOX in my browser to be able to send the file to someone. It's a mess, I wish I could go back to my previos standard DropBOX settings... you guys need to hurry up and fix these issues...!

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 5.50.24 p.m..png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TheOldman, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned that the files with the solid cloud can't be opened. Do you get any specific errors when you try to open them?

Feel free to have a look at this helpful Help Center article, in regards to the new syncing icons for macOS. Also, could you clarify the app's precise syncing status at the moment?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Marita Brewster
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue as described in this topic. I'm now looking at getting rid of Dropbox altogether. I notice the same issue is occurring with two Google Drive accounts that I work with. So I wonder if it's something to do with my recent upgrade to Ventura. It's an absolute pain and I really need it fixed. Any help gratefully appreciated. 

Need more support?