cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac -> New files with cloud icon. How to set-it up to sync files available offline?

Mac -> New files with cloud icon. How to set-it up to sync files available offline?

Grifo98
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello...

Is it possible to set Dropbox to sync all files directly? For some time now, I've been getting a cloud icon next to a file I put in Dropbox on another device. I always have to open the file manually first so that it is downloaded. Previously, the entire content was synchronized with each system start.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Grifo98, as my colleague mentioned, if you're running the new version of the Dropbox app for Mac OS, then theses changes are expected, and files will default to online-only

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Grifo98, welcome to our Community! 

Keep in mind, that the way you sync files, especially the settings that you apply on the files, and folders on each device, is unique. 

With that being said, when you make the file available offline, doesn't it stay that way? Can you check your app's preferences, under the Sync tab, and let me know what you find there?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Grifo98
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The correct path to the Dropbox folder is set under the SYNC options. In the selective selection, all subfolders are selected.

I uploaded four files via the browser at work today. When I turned on the computer at home, these four files were marked with a cloud icon. To open them, they are first downloaded and then opened. In the past, everything was automatically retrieved with the system start. I would like to have it like that again.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Grifo98, which version of macOS are you running and which Dropbox app version?

If you've updated to the new Dropbox for macOS version, this is expected behavior.

Files added to your Dropbox account from another device or that are shared by another user will default to online-only.

You can see more about the expected changes here.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Grifo98
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have the latest version of macOS and the Dropbox client.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Grifo98, as my colleague mentioned, if you're running the new version of the Dropbox app for Mac OS, then theses changes are expected, and files will default to online-only

Jay
dropbox.com/support

sk27
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

What version of dropbox would I have to use to have it so the default setting is not online only? I am setting up dropbox on a new Mac laptop and I have too many files to download individually at this point.

thank you,

Srikanth 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @sk27, you can't really install a previous version of the Dropbox app to your new Mac and even if you could, it will automatically get updated to the newest version eventually.

But you don't have to make the files available offline individually, you can do this to your entire Dropbox folder, by right-clicking it and choosing "make available offline".

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Chris_Mellor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

First of all, the default to online access and not local copies of my Dropbox MacBook Air folder content is unhelpful and unwanted, It doe not permit me to have offline access to the files without manually copying them to a local folder on my MacBook. This is a retrograde move in your service and not something I wanted at all. Now I have found the right-click set to offline access function I have at least regained the functionality I had prior to your software upgrade - or downgrade as far as I am concerned,

Secondly, you should have provided a simple way to resume the prior default action of making all files and folders available offline without me having to search through a community help forum, find this post, and then manually set all my flies and folders to default to offline access. Shame on you for this poor approach to customer service, customer experience and facilities. As a paying customer I am disappointed. You have caused me inconvenience and extra work.

mariangpongiangela
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same Problem here, still not solved

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Z-Studio New member | Level 2
    studiojon Helpful | Level 5
    rsa85 New member | Level 2
    c-a-e New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?