cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy files from backup to online folder - Without re-downloading ?

Copy files from backup to online folder - Without re-downloading ?

dave_inchie
Explorer | Level 3

Hi !

So i plug my device with pictures into my computer, and dropbox pops up and ask if i want to back them up to dropbox.

great. i do that. after uploading tons of stuff this way I realise that a backup is its own beast, not a regular dropbox sync.

thats fine. but..

having all these files already on dropbox (backup or not.) is there really no way to copy all or some of the files in the backup onto a regular online dropbox folder, WITHOUT re-downloading it ?

in my mind it sounds ridiculous if there is no way  to just copy these files into my dropbox folders via my browser (say for example i am on a holiday and need to do this from remote) the backup can still be there, as a backup. i do not necessarily need to do anything with that currently. i just need a (partial or full) copy to become available as an online folder.. (or even just convert the backup to a regular online folder and be done with it).

hopefully i am just not seeing something obvious ?

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dave_inchie, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The Dropbox Backup feature is in a completely separate section on the Dropbox site from your normal syncing files. 

For security and privacy purposes, it isn't possible to move files between the Backup site and the main site.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?