cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Transfer "Couldn't add some files"

Dropbox Transfer "Couldn't add some files"

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to create a Dropbox Transfer of the entire contents of a folder. The folder contains 76.8 GB in total and over 16K of files. I am doing this from my Windows desktop. The folder is already within Dropbox but it appears that Dropbox wants to upload a new copy. I have the Professional plan specifically in order to be able to create large transfers.

When I attempt this, adding the 1 folder (and many sub-folders, etc), it successfully seems to prepare the transfer but after I click on Create Transfer, I eventually get the error message "Couldn't add some files. Try adding those files again or removing them." The single folder I added has "Failed to upload" in red text next to it.

I attempted again, this time adding by subfolder. It successfully prepared the transfer, with all folder being listed. After clicking on Create Transfer, like the prior attempt, it never left 0% and only showed 0 bytes out of 76.8 GB before failing. Every subfolder had "Failed to upload" next to it in red.

I am running Dropbox version 152.4.4880. 

Kathy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For anyone else with a similar issue:

After my issue was brought to the attention of the Transfer team, it seems that there is both a total size and number of files limit. The transfer that I was attempting failed (nearly immediately) because the limit was 10,000 files. I was attempting a Transfer that was over 16,000 files.

Dropbox team - thanks for the quick response once my issue got sent to the Transfer team. You would have saved me a LOT of time and headache if you would include the file count limit somewhere, such as in the error message or in your Transfer documentation. I initially raised this issue weeks ago and it should have been an easy clarification.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @organizedimages, let's have a look into this! 

If you try sending the Transfer using our website, do you notice the same behavior? 

Also, feel free to send some screenshots my way, in order to have a clear visual on this. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

oneweb2022
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here since this morning using transfer on safari.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @oneweb2022, could you try creating the transfer on the site directly to see if this helps?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

oneweb2022
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Jay,

That is what I did. But just tried again with the same files and it now worked. Think it was a temporary glitch. Thanks for your support!

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox transfer error.jpg

Megan, here is a screenshot from when the desktop transfer failed initially.

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The transfer just failed again now when done from the website.

Transfer via website.jpg

oneweb2022
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That was exactly the same message I received, but I got it on the webversion (so via the website). I could select all the files, no issue, but straight after clicking on 'create transfer' the message appears like 'Organizedimages' shows. So it did not even "try" to upload the files. But as I said, it works again for me now. 

oneweb2022
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@organizedimages

Don't know if you use an iMac or Macbook as I do. Completely unrelated, I did a reboot (just a normal restart) of my iMac just prior to trying again. Maybe safari or mac os had a few updates that needed downloading and installing and that might have sorted the issue for me. 

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@oneweb2022 , thanks for the suggestion. I'm on a Windows machine and did reboot this morning prior to trying again. 

After trying on the website, where it displays that the file can't load, I was still able to click the "Create Transfer" button. The screen immediately jumped to displaying 99% complete with 76.84 Gb out of 76.84 Gb (screenshot attached), it's been spinning away at this percentage for the last hour or so with no change.

99.jpg

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

organizedimages Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?