cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox changed my sharing link with the same file name!! Can I add a file to an old dropbox link?

Dropbox changed my sharing link with the same file name!! Can I add a file to an old dropbox link?

BNC_2022
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi There, I'm hoping someone can help with this issue.

I uploaded a dropbox link to an awards entry portal. It's a link to a video. Just before the deadline, I updated the file in my Dropbox. The same name. I just dropped it into the folder on my desktop and presumed the shared link would not change.

I've just checked my entry (which cannot be edited) and the link I submitted says 'file has been deleted'. When I create a shared link from the updated file, it's a different link!!!

I always thought the link would not change if the file name did not change. 

My question now is. 

Can I somehow add the updated file to the old Dropbox link. i.e. the link that says 'file has been deleted'??

I would greatly appreciate any help on this. A lot of work went into the file. 

PS I've already contacted the awards people to request that my links are updated. But they may refuse.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DocMolly
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, 

I think what he is trying to explain is exactly what happened to me above. When you use the dropbox desktop app on your computer to replace a file with the same name, it deletes the LINK, thereby breaking the link which you may have already shared publicly in multiple places. Big headache. 

This never used to happen, but with recent Mac OS updates it happens quite frequently. Therefore, now I only replace files in Dropbox via my browser, never on the desktop app. This ensures the link remains intact and only the file changes. 

Molly 

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

BNC_2022
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

HI There, I'm hoping someone can help with this issue.

I uploaded a dropbox link to an awards entry portal. It's a video link. Just before the deadline, I updated the file in my Dropbox. The same name. I just dropped it in to the folder on my desktop and presumed the shared link would not change.

I've just checked my entry (which cannot be edited) and the link I submitted says 'file has been deleted'. When I create a shared link from the updated file, it's a different link!!!

I always thought the link would not change if the file name changed. 

My question now is. 

Can I somehow add the updated file to the old Dropbox link. I.e. the link that says 'file has been deleted'??

I would greatly appreciate any help on this. A lot of work went into the file. 

PS I've already contacted the awards people to request that my links are updated. But they may refuse.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @BNC_2022, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

Would you mind clarifying what happened exactly? Do you mean that you overwrote the file with a different one?

If so, you might want to restore the old version of the file from the version history, to see if that helps.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DocMolly
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, 

I think what he is trying to explain is exactly what happened to me above. When you use the dropbox desktop app on your computer to replace a file with the same name, it deletes the LINK, thereby breaking the link which you may have already shared publicly in multiple places. Big headache. 

This never used to happen, but with recent Mac OS updates it happens quite frequently. Therefore, now I only replace files in Dropbox via my browser, never on the desktop app. This ensures the link remains intact and only the file changes. 

Molly 

BNC_2022
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, DocMolly. That is exactly what happened.

My query now has become: Is it possible to use the old link (I still have a record of the URL) and somehow make it link to the updated file, which has the same name and is in the same place?

I hope this makes sense.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @BNC_2022, sorry to jump in, but have you tried the walk-around Molly suggested in her response? Namely, did you try updating the file the link points to through a web browser instead of doing it locally on your computer?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

BNC_2022
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

hi All,

I've solved the problem thanks to you all.

I used Dropbox rewind feature to recover the same file from yesterday. Once I did that, the old link then worked again.

I then replaced the file with the new version through the browser... and the link still worked!!!

So happy. Thank you all

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear it's sorted for you now and thanks for keeping us in the loop too @BNC_2022

See you around and take care!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

trongo
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

What or how exactly is "updating the file the link points to through a web browser instead of doing it locally on your computer"?

Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @trongo, how are you today?

You can change a file online, such as change the name, or even edit it if you're using an integration such as Microsoft Office. 

Of course, if someone is using the app, they can update or edit their files there too.

I hope this clarifies, let me know if you have any questions!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Michael G.11 Explorer | Level 4
    DocMolly Helpful | Level 6
    trongo Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?