cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox doesn't sync symbolic links anymore

Dropbox doesn't sync symbolic links anymore

Baboo85
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

until this summer I was able to sync folders outside Dropbox using simbolic links.

I just tried again to sync a folder with this tricky method and it's not working. I tried to create simbolic link with normal and admin user rights, I tried to sync a folder in another disk partition, it just doesn't work anymore.

The "fun fact" is that the old symbolic links I created are working, but if I create a new one it shows a red X on it.

I know it's not a feature but a tricky method, but I read that Dropbox doesn't support simbolic link anymore.

Just....WHY. It was so useful, the only drawback was that the sync wasn't in real time with the great advantage of being able to save any folder you want without moving it into Dropbox.
In OneDrive I'm still able to use it (I use it even at work to backup (backup, not syncing, because it's not syncing in real time) my user folders), in Dropbox the old ones are working, but why not the new ones?
The command I use to create simbolic link is like this:
mklink /J "F:\Dropbox\TRANSFER\PC GAME\USERDATA_links\Pictures" "F:\USERDATA\Pictures"

Note that I could try with any folder, even in C: but it doesn't work anymore.

There is a method to make it working again?

20 Replies 20

support_symlinks11
New member | Level 2

Update:

I switched to Google Drive, it is AWESOME! It makes it extremely smooth, just select the folders you want to sync and done, perfect! No more symlinks needed. It also is very easy to use on multiple PCs and to access data on the other PCs which you can mirror or load on access. Won't look back to Dropbox, and advice everyone with this problem, to switch! 🙂 You will love it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

support_symlinks11 New member | Level 2
    Harley C.1 New member | Level 2
    bulgaria_mitko New member | Level 2
    bluesplayer43 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?