cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Viqhaas M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why on earth is this happening ?!? its resyncing everything again nothing has been changed why ?

114 Replies 114

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there (@imagined), apologies for getting back in touch with you with a slight delay. I'm merely checking back on whether you've made any progress on this matter; have you been able to resolve this concern on your end? Please do let me know on this discussion & I’ll make sure to follow-up with you asap!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Vladan76
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same situation but, my problem is much bigger. 

I use mobile internet and have plan with 100GB for a month, and my Dropbox  have 150GB of files. Now Dropbox is resyncing (indexing) 190.000 files, although i did not change anything. My biggest problem is not a time for syncing, it is data use. If I knew for problem like this, I would newer buy Dropbox.

Jinx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I Have just searched google for this issue and this Forum thread came up as the first item. It's titled Solved: Dropbox is re-syncing........... etc. The fact that this thread was started in 2015, and it is currently December 2018 and I have now just encountered this issue tells me it is far from Solved. My company Dropbox is now Indexing 240k+ files and we can't access any of the newest edits to files or additions of folders/ files. It happened 1 Hour ago and looks to be Indexing for the next several hours. Which means I can't deliver on my Boss's requests, and complete my daily taks quickly and efficiently.

My question is for Dropbox, its a very simple one:

Why is this not fixed after 3 years??? 

and follow-up Question(s):

How do you expect businesses who not only pay for this service but rely on this service for running all aspects of their business to function in a cost-effective and productive manner if we cannot access our files on your system? 

Why can't this process be run as a secondary/background task without interfering with access of newly created or edited files?

Why can't this process be run at a time we select? We have 12 hours a day this dropbox is not used (overnight) why not then? Just like windows update prompt to install updates or a phone update installed overnight?

We were recommended this Service by our IT company, (along with 2 other companies that we had quotes off) and even they (Our IT company) cannot believe the drop in not only the File share service from Dropbox but the general lack of support and noticeable action from Dropbox in resolving issues. And Not allowing Our IT Company to manage our dropbox account for us and deal with technical issues. (Which is a whole other problem in itself)

3 Years this thread has been active and Dropbox have the audacity to put a solved title on it, thinking that their problems will go away.

Fix your System Dropbox or you will be dropped. Simple.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@Vladan76), I understand that monitoring your syncing activity is of utmost importance right now & I’ll try to advise accordingly. 

As the Dropbox syncing activity could be impacting your data usage, I’d suggest utilizing our Selective Sync feature to reduce the overall load of the client. You can simply get going with that by un-checking the content that you’d like to store on on your account online but don’t necessarily need locally. (Tip: You may also have a look at this resource here, where Jay explains matters in a bit more detail.)

From there, I’m wondering whether you’re working in many projects at the same time, so I’d suggest checking back on your account activity in case your colleagues have added a large number of files to a shared folder that may impact your account as well. 

Please do let me know how you get on with my advice in your next message. Thanks in advance for taking a bit of your time to work on that with me & try my suggestions. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again!  

When it comes to your inquiry ( @Jinx ), let me clarify that this is an ongoing discussion & by that I’m implying that there are many issues gathered under the Resyncing :arrows_counterclockwise: umbrella. The main point of such conversations is to open up the discussion, as there could be “out-of-the-box” troubleshooting steps leading to resolution. 

Additionally, it would be worth noting that our main goal is to ensure that all your content is fully updated & we maintain your file continuity. In case you’d like to launch Dropbox manually (while accessing your filestructure), you could disable the autostart through the desktop application Preferences. (Dropbox logo on your menu bar :play_button: :gear: icon :play_button: Preferences :play_button: General :play_button: Uncheck the Start Dropbox on system startup box.)

In any event, if all adjustments are set correctly & you’re facing a syncing issue at the moment, it’s highly likely that it pertains to your configuration. If so, would it be okay if I reached out to you directly via email, in order to look into that together? 

Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on that & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

imagined
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did this help? No, not at all. In the past two weeks since I posted, this has happened two more times and it is clear from some of the other comments, this problem has existed for year.  What problem, DropBox failing ungracefully and starting from the beginning to sync again.  I cannot imagine the pain the other poster described where the resync uses all of their available bandwidth!

Get this sync problem fixed.

How about some real support?  

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there (@imagined), as you’ve mentioned that this persists for you, would it be okay if I sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Forum profile, in order to investigate the behavior you’ve reported here in a bit more depth together?

Thanks again for your ongoing cooperation & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

4pixels
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just found my full 80gb Dropbox folder synching which I'm guessing will takes days to finish. Would love to here when someone gets a solution to this.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@4pixels), while this resource might be helpful in determining what’s happening,  let me quickly ask you whether you’re using Symlinks or referenced files as part of your configuration. If so, I’d suggest removing them, since they’d continuously try to update even without your input (& that could be a potential cause of syncing issues)

Please include as much info as possible on this discussion here & I’ll make sure to check back with you & send you the best next steps to tackle this behavior. Thanks for posting us on the Dropbox Community & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Marco22
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, Same problem here. 2 Tb plan with 400k files, full resync every now and then for no reason. 

CPU usage goes crazy, Dropbox unusable for at least one day due to the large list of files. Entire PC is also impacted as the opreation takes most of the CPU. Ridiculous given the premium price I'm paying....

Rosemary U.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am looking for an alternative to Dropbox because of this problem.  I think it is related to how Windows 10 handles files but it doesn't happen on all my computers, so I am not sure.  None-the-less it seems to happen to other people as well so a solution should be available.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Angela S.21 New member | Level 1
    Rob D.2 New member | Level 1
    Craig M.18 Helpful | Level 5
    Martin M.21 New member | Level 1
    Matt B.73 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?