cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox "folder" on computer, how does it work?

Dropbox "folder" on computer, how does it work?

KJS-LES
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Not sure about the category.

I have files in many folders on my computer.  I want to use Dropbox as a Cloud, for storage only, occasionally for sending a video file to someone (which I've done).  The free service is limiting in amount of files I can upload, so I'm thinking of purchasing a 2 or 3 TB account.

1)  As you know, when I drag files from a folder onto the website, they also appear in a Dropbox folder on my computer.  It LOOKS LIKE the files were copied to this folder.  I need to know if this Dropbox folder is virtual, and that the files (mostly videos) are NOT taking up space on my computer/external hard drive.  Since I want to use Dropbox AS a backup, I don't want it to backup files onto my computer.

2) Is it possible to copy entire FOLDERS as a folder onto Dropbox?   And maybe create folders on Dropbox?

3)  What is the Dropbox Vault?  Does it apply to a single user?

Replies much appreciated, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KJS-LES, thanks for messaging the Community!

The Dropbox folder is that same as any normal folder on your computer, aside from the fact that it allows syncing with the Dropbox service. Files will take up space on your computer in this folder, unless you use selective sync (to prevent entire folders from appearing on your computer), or marking files as online-only.

Since it is a normal folder on your computer, you can move folders into the Dropbox folder, and they can have subfolders as well.

The Dropbox Vault is a folder with an extra layer of security for your account only, although you can add a trusted contact to download it if need be.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KJS-LES, thanks for messaging the Community!

The Dropbox folder is that same as any normal folder on your computer, aside from the fact that it allows syncing with the Dropbox service. Files will take up space on your computer in this folder, unless you use selective sync (to prevent entire folders from appearing on your computer), or marking files as online-only.

Since it is a normal folder on your computer, you can move folders into the Dropbox folder, and they can have subfolders as well.

The Dropbox Vault is a folder with an extra layer of security for your account only, although you can add a trusted contact to download it if need be.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

KJS-LES
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you!!

KJS-LES
Explorer | Level 4

I clicked on Create Folder, but then I couldn't find it.

And I couldn't find the options to not have them in my computer folder - since the items in the Dropbox folder on my computer are duplicates -- in another folder on my computer.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KJS-LES, just as a clarification: it sounds like everything is back on track for you, right? 

If not, let me know and we'll jump right into this! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

addison123
New member | Level 2

Related to this line of questioning, I have lots of files organized in a very specific way on my c: drive, that I really don't want to disturb.  Namely by years.  I don't need to access prior years on DB.  I just need the current year's documents.  Does this mean I will have to separate the 2023 files, move them into the dropbox folder on the c: drive, thus separating them from all my other files on the c: drive to use DB?  Hope that makes sense.  If not, I can try to re-explain.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @addison123, essentially, yes. Any files you want in the Dropbox folder have to be moved there, separating them from the other files on your computer.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

KJS-LES
Explorer | Level 4

Can CURRENT folders on the computer -- in other than the C -- drive -- be Dropbox folders?  Most of my user files are on External hard drives, not on the C drive.  If I'm understanding correctly, it would be physically impractical to duplicate all the files that I'd want on Dropbox, unless I set up a separate external hard drive for this purpose.  Since no drives, external or internal, last forever, what happens when the home drive needs to be replaced?

Rich
Super User II

@KJS-LES wrote:

Can CURRENT folders on the computer -- in other than the C -- drive -- be Dropbox folders?

Your Dropbox folder should be on an internal drive. While it is possible to put the Dropbox folder on an external drive in some cases, it's highly NOT recommended as data loss can occur.

Any files that you want Dropbox to sync must be located in the Dropbox folder, regardless of where it's stored. Dropbox cannot sync files or folders located outside of the Dropbox folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    KJS-LES Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    addison123 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?