cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stuck on node_modules...

Dropbox stuck on node_modules...

cbowen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox is stuck trying to sync node_modules. If I hover over the icon it says indexing node_modules. If I open it up, it says Syncing node_modules. The Sync Queue permanantly says "Checking one file" with an animation. It has been like this for days now and won't ever finish syncing. I have excluded some of the node_modules folders I used recently to see if that helps, but it has not. I have rebooted several times. I upgraded to the latest Dropbox client. Nothing helps. If I knew which node_modules folder it was stuck on, I would just remove it, but there are probably over a thousand of those on my system. How can I get the path to the file it is stuck trying to sync so I can get it to finally get caught back up?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cbowen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I did finally find the offending node_modules folder. Once I excluded it from dropbox, it now completes the sync. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @cbowen, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community.

Generally, since node_modules are like cached files for projects that you may have saved, they may have trouble syncing to your Dropbox folder.

You can check out this thread where other users have discussed this, and also this article on how to "ignore" items from syncing.

Have a look through them and let me know if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cbowen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

These are reasonable solutions except that I think I have about 1,000 node_modules folders on my system. If we just find the top level ones, there are still hundreds. It's stuck on one of those. If I knew the path, rather than just the directory name, I could fix that one and not feel I have to manually ignore hundreds of these folders to find that one. Even better, why is it so hard to create a simple way to ignore a directory with a given name? 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I understand how important this is for you and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. 

Although there's not much I can offer on this, I'm more than happy to leave this thread open for any other users who may have additional input on this.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give me another nudge. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cbowen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I did finally find the offending node_modules folder. Once I excluded it from dropbox, it now completes the sync. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear that, @cbowen! Awesome work with the troubleshooting. 

If anything else comes up in the future, you know where to find us. 

I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    cbowen Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?