cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox won't automaticlly add a link to clipboard for a screenshot even though it saves in d...

Dropbox won't automatically add a link to clipboard for a screenshot even though it saves in dropbox

Brian L.31
Explorer | Level 3

When you enable dropbox to share screenshots and screen recordings using dropbox, part of the deal is that it automatically copies a link to the file on your clipboard.  When I do that, the file goes to dropbox like it should, but it does not upload a link to my clipboard. Reached out to dropbox support, they had me update the app to the latest build, checked my settings etc... They don't know why and just said this

"After having the case further investigated, the problem you’re experiencing appears to be caused by another service you’re using and more specifically by the OS settings in regards to the clipboard, not by Dropbox. Unfortunately we’re unable to provide support for third-party apps or services."

They can't tell me what the 3rd party service is, just that it's causing it. I don't know if any 3rd party service I use. They can't give me further info and just marked the support ticket closed and told me to ask the community.

I'm on a paid plan, I would expect better tech support.

This is on a macbook air running Catalina. Works fine on other machines I have. any ideas here?

15 Replies 15

Philip B.17
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

My Version is Dropbox V192.2.3390 running on macOS 14.2.1. 

Rebooting my mac does not help. I also completely reinstalled DropBox without any luck. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi Philip! Did you also disable/re-enable the "save screenshots and screen recordings” feature via your app’s preferences?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Philip B.17
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy. Yes I did. But with no success. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, I see. Can you clarify when this issue started on your desktop app? I see you mentioned it started in December, but I’m curious if it occurred after a specific update on your computer.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Philip B.17
Explorer | Level 3

I think it happened after updating to macOS 15.2.

Demitri
Dropbox Staff

Hi ya'll! 

I'm Demitri -- I'm on our support team.

I had a particular recommendation/ask for the people seeing this: can you try this one more time, but make sure that the 'floating thumbnail' that appears on your Mac in the lower right has had enough time to dismiss itself before trying to paste the Shared Link? I'm curious if that may be working correctly for you - just a bit delayed. 

This screenshot tool has been my favorite gadget in all of Dropbox for many years; when that 'floating thumbnail' was introduced in MacOS I also noticed some delays in how quickly I could paste a link. As it turns out the screenshot file itself isn't generated until that thumbnail goes away. 

I was able to speed up that process by disabling that floating thumbnail and it's much more like what I expect in terms of how quickly that comes up for me. 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/take-a-screenshot-mh26782/mac#:~:text=The%20Show%20Floating....

If you're not seeing the shared link is copied to clipboard at all (delayed or not) do let us know and I'll work with our Community team to get in touch directly. 

Thanks folks! 

Need more support?