cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Directlinking

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

SolitareLee
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've been using Google Drive, since everyone already has an account there if they have a Google account. Easy move, and I figured out how to get codes that worked for embedding with no more difficulty than I would have had getting codes that worked for embedding with Dropbox. You have to manually edit every single **bleep**ing url whether you use Dropbox or another service--the fact you didn't have to on Dropbox was the only reason I and a few ten thousand others were even using their service to begin with. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Chris R. wrote:
As fast as I post this in these forums, it's being removed. I need you all to join in. Let's give them such a headache that they will have to act on this issue.

If you choose to spam the forums then the action that would occur would likely be the suspension of your account.

Please stop spamming the forums and posting on unrelated threads. As you are well aware, this is the thread to discuss this issue. Replies posted to unrelated threads will be moved or removed. If you continue in this manner your posts could be removed or your account suspended.

Thank you.

Spam QuarantineSpam Quarantine

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I WILL continue to post across the forums, until Dropbox ban me from the forums, then hopefully someone else will take over. The reason for continuing is precisely because DB are not preserving existing links, and EVERYONE needs to be told. The article you point people to does not address this.

The easiest way to make me stop - apart from Dropbox banning me - is for them to address and resolve the issue of preserving existing links.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Note to everyone except Rich - if you see me stop posting, it means Dropbox have banned me from the forums. (They can't stop my account as I am not abusing my Dropbox account in any way, and the publicity that would ensue - WILL ensue - could destroy them.)

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Observe the threats used against me, and ask yourselves - is this the Dropbox you signed up to?

Dima
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Chris R.jpg

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Chris

Allow me to jump in here.

As Rich mentioned before, posting repeatedly in several un-related threads will not help and is an abuse of the forum system, which may result in your forum account being suspended. Our community guidelines are available here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Announcements/Community-Guidelines/m-p/190245

You're welcome to share feedback, ask questions, help fellow community members, but keeping a respectful environment for others to participate.

I won't be replying to this here as this is going off-topic. If you wish to share your thoughts privately, you can do so via ticket on http://bit.ly/cm-support or by respectfully keeping the conversation on-topic.

Thanking you in advance,

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Observe the threat just for speaking out on this issue. Is Rich and his sort the kind of person you would care to meet for any reason whatever? Is Dropbox the kind of business you want to have anything more to do with whatever?

Observe the threats. Make up your own mind.

SolitareLee
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

TBH I'm with Chris on this. It's not like 50 pages of discussion here resulted in ANY CONVERSATION OR DICUSSION FROM THE DROPBOX TEAM WHATSOEVER. For what, like, 3 months, we've talked around in circles here, and Dropbox hasn't once done a single f*cking thing other than censor, delete, and edit other people's posts. 

Like, oh no, he might get suspended from the COMPLETELY F*CKING USELESS service!!! Whatever is he going to DO? *clutches chest* 

A bit of civil disobedience is to be expected when you treat your paying customers like incovenient dog sh*t to be swept up and thrown out. 

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Ed wrote:
Hi Chris

Allow me to jump in here.

As Rich mentioned before, posting repeatedly in several un-related threads will not help and is an abuse of the forum system, which may result in your forum account being suspended. Our community guidelines are available here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Announcements/Community-Guidelines/m-p/190245

You're welcome to share feedback, ask questions, help fellow community members, but keeping a respectful environment for others to participate.

I won't be replying to this here as this is going off-topic. If you wish to share your thoughts privately, you can do so via ticket on http://bit.ly/cm-support or by respectfully keeping the conversation on-topic.

Thanking you in advance,

We have tried to keep the topic "on topic". But you and your colleagues REFUSE POINT BLANK to discuss the millions of links you're about to KILL. Is that respectful, to us your users? No, it's not. 

Start the respect you ask for, yourself. Start by explaining to us in non-bland ways, avoiding corporate non-speak, WHY YOU WILL NOT GRANDFATHER THE MILLIONS OF LINKS OUT THERE? YOU know, **bleep** well, that's what is our main concern, yet you talk about respect and lack the respect towards us by answering this very very simple question.

Need more support?