cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are visible online in folders but then the folders are empty when they download

Files are visible online in folders but then the folders are empty when they download

stolenbuick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well, I'm a long time power user for my photo business and have never had this problem before. I have a guy uploading cr2 files to a set of folders. I can see the folders online and the photos in the folders. He sent me an invite to the folder with full edit ability but when the folders sink they are all empty. The sinking is completed but still empty. I tried a direct download of just one folder manually (instead of relying on sync to test it) but when I unzip the folder it is still empty even though I can see the photos online. I downloaded just one photo and that works, but clearly I can download one photo at a time time. So it is not a file viewing issue or file type, something is happening in both the sync and download.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stolenbuick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I figured it out. It was a copy paste from a multiple fields in an excel schedule I gave to the photog. When he pasted the folder titles across multiple cells , it also copied and pasted the tab instruction between each cell on a single line. The tab arrow instruction was invisible in the title so it did not show any incompatible characters. I discovered by copy pasting the title from Dropbox folder to a web browser and then the tabbing arrows became visible. Wow. Mystery solved. Add that one your solution que... Invisible tab instructions from excel! If you are interested I can send you what it looked like in the browser. This one drove me nuts all morning long but I finally figured it out. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @stolenbuick, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you check if the names of the folders contain any incompatible characters

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

stolenbuick
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I figured it out. It was a copy paste from a multiple fields in an excel schedule I gave to the photog. When he pasted the folder titles across multiple cells , it also copied and pasted the tab instruction between each cell on a single line. The tab arrow instruction was invisible in the title so it did not show any incompatible characters. I discovered by copy pasting the title from Dropbox folder to a web browser and then the tabbing arrows became visible. Wow. Mystery solved. Add that one your solution que... Invisible tab instructions from excel! If you are interested I can send you what it looked like in the browser. This one drove me nuts all morning long but I finally figured it out. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update here, @stolenbuick.

I'm glad to see you were able to figure out this issue and for providing your solution here.

If you come across any other issues, don't hesitate to let us know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    stolenbuick Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?