cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files do not get downloaded automatically on Mac

Files do not get downloaded automatically on Mac

MathewCross
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I am experiencing an issue with files added by other users after installing the new Dropbox on MAC OS 13.1 (22C65). I need the files to be downloaded automatically to my drive instead of having to download them manually. This does not happen. I have Dropbox system extension as off. What else can be done?

33 Replies 33

INVOKE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My whole team is also dealing with this issue. As an example, if you upload a file from the Dropbox app it will NOT auto download to your Mac like it used to. This is extremely frustrating especially for larger files that I want to have ready to work with on the Mac. This is especially frustrating with any kind of shared folders where many people are working on things and needing to collaborate. Does anyone know if this is also the case with Box? We will make the switch ASAP. BTW we have not found any solve (full disk permission, repairing, etc. does not solve this issue) ☹️

Ben-KC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think a resolution may be to right-click the parent folder (DropboxFolder > YourFolder) and select "Make Available Offline".

When I did this, I got the green tick on the folder, then the files started adding the green tick, and then files created and placed in there form another source downloaded automatically. 

Test it and see if this works for you. It now works for me. Saves me a bit of concern too wit the visual prompt of the green tick. 

EDIT - you can also do this to the Dropbox folder. So that might be the better solution!

MathewCross
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ben you are cashing in, it works for me, thank you!

Ben-KC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

All good! Glad it worked for you too. 

INVOKE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, however the issue with that resolution is, if you have a very large DB (mine is well over 5TB) with many folders and individual files marked as "online only" or "selective sync" then there is absolutely no way to accomplish this because I would need an internal SSD large enough to accommodate the initial sync/dowload... and then of course the extremely painstaking process of going through literally hundreds of folders and thousands of files to re-mark as online or offline, etc. 

Ben-KC
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree with your point regarding DB account size vs drive space on your Mac - if you don't have enough room on your internal drive then don't mark the whole DB folder to Make Available Offline. 

But, as you pointed out, if you have selected any folders and marked them to be Made Available Offline, then any new files in that folder and subfolders added from external/online/shared location will be downloaded automatically. I believe this was the question of the thread. 

I still think that DB needs to create a work around for storing the DB folder on an external drive, rather than being forced by MacOS to host it in the user library on the internal drive. There are other threads that talk about that and possible workarounds. I am not addressing this here though. 

So perhaps marking individual folders to be made available offline - such as the current project folder you are using - may be more useful to you. That was the first part of my proposed solution. 

Also, I haven't liked using Box personally, but if Box allows you to work on an external drive for storage then it would be your decision to use another service. 

INVOKE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yeah it seems to be the best solve for the moment and at least now we know that any new folders shared or otherwise will need to be marked as "Make Available Offline" as part of the workflow. And yes agreed I've also never been a fan of Box so I'm hoping we don't go that route. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

nshamid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I recently bought a new macbook pro with Large SSD to make sure that i never have to worry about my files from other devices to be downloaded and stored on my new macbook pro. Now i learnt they will not be automatically downloaded on my new macbook and i will have to keep pressing download icon on regular basis. It killed the whole idea of all files available on 1 device.

Its a big step backwards. 

Daniel M.74
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

One feature that has been lost in the latest version of dropbox is the ability to default for  all files/folders sync automatically to a computer. This is a great loss, and one hopefully soon fixed.

beatrixwillius
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Another vote for improving "Offline only" files. I don't want my files to be online. I want them downloaded automatically. 

The context menu is problematic because I can't see what I selected.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 12.23.44.png

What happens if I select "Offline only" for a parent folder and then "Online only" for a subfolder? How do I see what I selected for which folder?

Need more support?