cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I leave a shared Dropbox folder?

How do I leave a shared Dropbox folder?

Padidto5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My friend invited me to share a 3gb folder she had. I accepted. Now I want to leave the folder and cant. I followed the advice from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoTpNkvPCI

The problem is that no folders appear under 'Sharing' in my Dropbox so I cant remove myself. I also looked for other ways to leave the folder but see no option to remove myself.

Any ideas on how?
Thanks

Learn how to leave a shared folder in "Dropbox". Don't forget to check out our site http://howtech.tv/ for more free how-to videos! http://youtube.com/ithowtovids - our feed http://www.facebook.com/howtechtv - join us on facebook https://plus.google.com/103440382717658277879 - our group in Google+
76 Replies 76

Gasm2970
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I was sent an invite to join a Dropbox to upload my tax papers. I did and now want to remove access but there is an owner and I'm an editor. How do I unlink from this person?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You need to leave the shared folder: https://help.dropbox.com/share/leave-shared-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Connie M.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So what actually helped was the wording "Leave a Shared Folder." I did a search on that and found an old message here with broken images. I ended up doing it from Finder on my Mac (Mojave, still.) The folder is now gone but will try to summarize what I did: I clicked on "Dropbox" in Finder and right-clicked on the shared folder (which has a different icon than my own private DB folders.) The Right-click drop down has "Share" settings which pops up a box. In the upper right of the box is a "Can Edit" tool. Click on the down-arrow to see your name. Under my name, (right or left click, do not remember) I finally found "Remove my Access." (The owner had given everyone Edit access to this folder and its sub folders.)

Spring cleaning satisfaction achieved.

Doing this from the browser doesn't work (tried Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera.)

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Connie M.4, can you send us a screenshot of the options you when you follow the steps in the article that Rich linked in his reply?

Just make sure you hide any personal info, like file names etc.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hilje
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

good morning. Hope you can help me. I only have the smallest dropbox account which is for free. I only use dropbox account for  temporary storage.  Now I want to delete a shared folder with pictures.  In the link I received from te owner I was aloud to edit too. I already saved the files on my device. Now I think I can’t delete the folder in dropbox without the risk of delete the folder for the others too. Is that true? And what should I do ? Now I cannot import new folders because there is no space. Dropbox says I have to upgrade but I do not want that.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @hilje, thanks for posting on the Dropbox Community!

If you'd like to delete a shared folder from your account, without affecting the other members, you can remove your access to the folder.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

hilje
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Hannah 

thank you so much for your reply.

I tried what was explained in the link.

I have an Ipad and it works a bit different than explained: Sharing only shows the possibility to share a link or to invite someone to the folder.  But instead of in ‘sharing’  I found the people who share the folder in folder settings.

But there is no possibility for removing my own access to the folder. Strange enough that option is showed by the name of the other sharing person. It looks like I can remove access for someone else but not for myself. For me the only showed option is to delete the folder.

Hope you have an idea where I can find my own access to remove?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @hilje, can you try these steps to remove your access to the shared folder?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

sophia66
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am following this conversation for I have the same problem!
I have deleted all the folders, emptied all the files that were in my Dropbox
and yet Dropbox keeps on saying that my Dropbox is full!!!
but when I go in see it either on my computer or on the website, 
my Dropbox is empty...
HOW CAN THIS BE ??? 
that's because I have shared folders to which I still haven't found how to get out of them!
and Dropbox is not helping to solve this problem

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @sophia66, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you let us know what exactly is reported in regards to your quota in your plan tab?

Do you see any folders listed in your backups page perhaps? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amanda Lamb Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?