cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I respond to a file request using dbxcli?

How do I respond to a file request using dbxcli?

sapg
Explorer | Level 3

How can I respond to a file request using dbxcli? 

I don't have a GUI on the server that I want to send the files from.

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sapg, thanks for messaging the Community.

Could you clarify what you mean by responding to a file request?

Are you not able to access your inbox in order to open the file request link?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sapg
Explorer | Level 3

I don't have a GUI on the server that contains the files I need to send so I need a way to do this on the command line.   I've been send a file request, I've copied the URL but I don't know how to use that on the command line to send the files being requested.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @sapg,

Unfortunately such a thing is not supported by Dropbox (not officially at least). You can always make  some upload using curl (or similar tool) though. 😉 You can trick (block in fact) your browser and perform dummy upload (not finished, since blocked in advance). Once you have all needed upload session data,... just use curl to do the same that would every web browser but on your headless device.

One more option (no so hacky) is using remote X session which will let you run web browser remote (no X server need to be installed remotely, but need to be locally - on the machine you're working on). Then... just upload whatever you need as you would make it local. Good and stable network connection between both devices is needed in this case!

And finally the most simple - just upload the intended files using your local browser; accessing the files using SFTP for instance (no so strong network stability is required).

Good luck.

sapg
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I'll have to recommend using S3 or Azure BLOB stores directly instead.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @sapg,

Hm..🤔 To be honest I'm not sure what you mean and cannot agree or disagree. That what I proposed was a workaround for imperfection (softly said) about Dropbox links. All variations, I proposed, are free. Since your post is on non development thread, I didn't discuss any options Dropbox API related (your last mentions are related to development of application). If you want, you can do something similar here, but to get a link that you can upload direct, you'll need still account owner authentication - not just a link (even more such links are temporary - usable for 4 hours at most)! I don't know all details, but if you can authenticate your application in a suitable way, you wouldn't need link at all - you would be able upload the files directly to the target account.

Another alternative of link would be folder sharing (with edit permission). In such a way you will upload just on your own account (either with official Dropbox application or your own application) and the files will appear in the other account too (since inside shared folder). Up to here all is still free. Some trouble may bring up for free account (or any other account) that don't have enough free space. Unfortunately, in case of Dropbox the sharing engage space for all accounts that participate (not only the owner).

Of course, if nothing available works for you, other options from competitors are available too - not all competitors engage space from sharing participants for instance. 😉 The last requires your partner (the link sender) to agree too.

Good luck.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    sapg Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?