cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I did uninstall and reinstall and now I see the new Dropbox and Dropbox (old) and no storage ...

I did uninstall and reinstall and now I see the new Dropbox and Dropbox (old) and no storage space,

Quiksylver
Explorer | Level 3

I did a uninstall and a reinstall as some shared files were not going into Dropbox.  When I did the reinstall it looks like it is syncing absolutely everything on my computer.  I also have a file called Dropbox (old) which I thought would be removed.  In the new Dropbox file, I have folders but nothing is in them.    I don't know how to resolve this .  I cannot find the tabs that the instructions on the website are eluding to.  Please help.

19 Replies 19

Quiksylver
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, 

I did as you advised, tried the three email address to reset the password and I could only change the password for the email address [email removed as per Community Guidelines] When I opened that file up it contains only the folders that I have sent to this page previously and they are still empty. 

What do we do next to rectify this? I would like to terminate the reinstall that is taking place now (which can't be completed  as I am supposedly out of storage) and continue with the limited functionality of the Dropbox on my C drive labeled as Dropbox (old).

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

You can deactivate the computer backup on the current installation if it is running by following these steps.

Regarding the old folder, it should belong to a different Dropbox account, however, without knowing which account it was connected to, it can't be linked correctly.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Quiksylver
Explorer | Level 3

I have been away and I was hoping that the issue would resolve itself in my absence.  But alas, it did not.

I tried to disable the back up as per your instructions.  When i get to step 3: Click Manage backups I get something asking 'if I want to keep my PC backed up?'  It has three boxes 1. desktop, 2. documents and 3. downloads.   I can click on any or all of these and then it says to 'setup' or 'not now'.  Step 4 states that I should find  'adjust settings' and click disable backup.  Unfortunately, not so on my computer.  

Is it possible to just cancel/terminate the syncing that is in process?  That would give me the best results as long as the contents of the Dropbox (old) is not jeopardized.  I am at my wits end.  Please help in any way you can.  I must get this rectified by year end.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like computer isn't setup on your machine, since you're getting the option to set it up when you select folders.

Could you attach a screenshot of what you're seeing on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Quiksylver
Explorer | Level 3

Quiksylver_1-1671489262979.png

This is what shows up after I click 'Manage backup'.

Sylvia

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Quiksylver, thank you for your patience! 

It seems the feature hasn't been enabled indeed. Now, did you have any progress with your app's syncing status

Also, when you visit your account's plan right here, what do you see in terms of your space? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Quiksylver
Explorer | Level 3

Megan,

The syncing status remains the same ' Uploading 29 files. Can't update as your dropbox is out of space.

When I go into subscription is tells me that I am using Dropbox Basic (free) with no billing  information.  I do pay the subscription in February and have done so for many years.

As we are getting nowhere fast, what would happen if we deleted this Dropbox and I purchase a new subscription.  First off, I will be losing 2 months worth of paid subscription but more importantly can I capture everything that is on my C: drive labeled 'Dropbox (old)?

Please advise.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Quiksylver, is it possible that you have two accounts, and you're using your Basic account with your desktop app?

If I were you, I'd firstly use our self-serve look-up tool, in order to locate the charge. If it's another one of your accounts, and email addresses that you have access to, you could then try to sign-in to the app with that email address. 

As for deleting your account: if you uninstall the app, and delete your account you should be able to keep your content on the device, and then sync it to the new account. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Quiksylver
Explorer | Level 3

Megan, Walter or Jay

And the saga continues.  But..... your guidance is still required.  As I stated before, I have Dropbox on another device.  I opened that Dropbox app and located what we need.

The account that I need is attached to the email: [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines].  I know the password.  And I have used 0.1% of the 2.0 TB storage.

Now I need explicit instructions to delete the Dropbox app that is currently loading under the email [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines].  I concur with your previous suggestion that perhaps the Dropbox attached to that email is not set up.

Your prompt guidance will be appreciated.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If your Dropbox desktop application is signed into the incorrect account, you can sign out of it by following these steps. Once signed out, you can sign into the correct account for the files to sync.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?