cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InDesign won't open InDesign files nor import images that are online-only

InDesign won't open InDesign files nor import images that are online-only

Anne-Marie a.
Explorer | Level 3

I know Dropbox has pushed a few alerts on my desktop that "they're aware there's an issue" with applications not being able to access online-only files; and the workaround is to use the Finder to open them.

The alert says that they're working on a fix.  I'm looking for the thread/s discussing the issue so I can get an idea of when it'll be fixed. Anyone know?

This kind of cripples our workflow which used to be so smooth. We have to make huge folders of archived image files "Available offline" just so we can occasionally import images into our InDesign projects from there. 

MS Word can open online-only Word files from the app, and ID used to be able to do the same, but now ID can't open online-only ID files, we have to  cancel out of the Place dialog and hunt for it in the Finder and open/make offline first. 

FWIW we're using Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) and Adobe CC 2022.

12 Replies 12

aelong1
New member | Level 2

This problem has not been resolved. I have to manually resync to files in dropbox anytime I open an older file in InDesign or Illustrator. So frustrating and time consuming!

TiltCreative
Helpful | Level 6

This is driving me crazy too. In inDesign, I can't open 'recent files', or double click on them from the finder. It's taking way longer to get my work done. I can click on 'make available offline', but if there are any links that are also offline, I have to go and find them before the file will open. It acts like it is going to open but then doesn't. Sometimes the update links window comes up, sometimes not. I'm continually restarting the program and restarting the machine trying to make it work. Today it won't even open using file > open. What are we meant to do?

NYCdesigner
New member | Level 2

Having this issue as well! Any solve for this yet? Also running Monterey

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

NYCdesigner New member | Level 2
    TiltCreative Helpful | Level 6
    aelong1 New member | Level 2
    Ed67 New member | Level 2
    sparkster Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?