cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing lasts for ever

Indexing lasts for ever

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

i have problem for a couple of days. the icon of dropbox when i rollover the mouse it says to me indexing files all the time which is not normal for the use i make with it so many years. it has stucked. i tried to exit app re launch it , same. what is going on what should i do? it doesn't also sync my new files i put in

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

its as simple as i said it. it said "indexing 67 files" then when i exit app and relaunched started to sync my files and then changed number of indexing files to 19 for example, random numbers every time (and yes i have rebooted PC many times). no i cant do what y want cause i logged out and logged in again (from inside the desktop clinet app) and then re setup dropbox without deleting my local files. problem seems to be solved. it has stuck somehow. i ll let you know if something goes wrong again. thank you so much for responding so fast

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @andreas781, sorry to hear about this.

If you rebooted your computer and this persists, could you send us a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your system tray/menu bar?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

its as simple as i said it. it said "indexing 67 files" then when i exit app and relaunched started to sync my files and then changed number of indexing files to 19 for example, random numbers every time (and yes i have rebooted PC many times). no i cant do what y want cause i logged out and logged in again (from inside the desktop clinet app) and then re setup dropbox without deleting my local files. problem seems to be solved. it has stuck somehow. i ll let you know if something goes wrong again. thank you so much for responding so fast

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries @andreas781 I'm just happy to hear that unlinking and relinking your account through the app's preferences did the trick for you. 

Thanks for keeping me in the loop and see you around the Community!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

well, i think that wasnt the solution, it started indexing again after a few days. i just woke up now and i see its indexing 435 files!. somethings wrong with that version i think , is there any newer version to download?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @andreas781, thanks for coming back to the thread and sorry to see you're having this issue again.

Which version do you currently have installed? The most recent version now is 162.4.5419.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

yes this is the version i have and had. i re installed it this time the dropbox app (not just log out / log in) and it worked again (i uninstalled it of course first). i am on it now to see if it does it again. but there must be something wrong with that version i believe. i ll keep in touch dont mark my answer as the solution because i am not sure yet if it will happen again in a few days. any ideas are welcome.

just one hint: when that happened (stuck in indexing for ever) i exit dropbox and then when i re opened it it was indexing again of course but this time it uploaded my rest files at the same time. from that point forward if i uploaded something else it couldnt upload it, i had to exit again and restart the application again

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Interesting info @andreas781

In any case, please keep an eye on it, and update us on the matter. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

sure thing i ll let you know

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

deleted

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andreas781 Collaborator | Level 9