cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interminable indexing after latest update (v196.4.6900) - Mac OS Ventura 13.6.6

Interminable indexing after latest update (v196.4.6900) - Mac OS Ventura 13.6.6

peludo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After the latest update, all file sync is now on hold while the entire Dropbox is indexing. It's been indexing now for 2 days, and there's still 276,665 files left with the progress bar barely moving. 

It also seems to be really slowing my Mac down - the beach ball appears at almost every click.

I urgently need to sync my files for client work. Is there any way to interrupt the index to sync, or speed up this process? I don't really want to update my OS for various compatibility reasons.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

peludo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks Jay.

I restarted in Safe Mode, then restarted again and it seems to have cleared the problem. This may be worth doing for anyone having the same issues, especially for people still on older versions of the OS.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @peludo - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try adjusting your bandwidth settings through the desktop app's preferences and/or rebooting your computer and internet router?

Let us know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jaco-Digivisie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here, after the update I received a message that it would take 6 hours. I've been working on it for 4 days now and it seems to keep freezing on x number of files. We have now indexed 880K files. Fiber optic internet and have restarted the app several times. Drama update DropBox 😞

peludo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks Walter. I tried all three. Changing the bandwidth to ‘don’t limit’ sped it up ever so slightly but it’s still on 145,000 files, and it’s throttled the internet completely as to make it unusable.

Restarting didn’t make any discernible difference.

Any other ideas?

peludo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello again,

So finally (1 week later) the indexing and sync appears to be complete, except that the icon is stuck on constant sync. 

Some files no longer open, like a couple of PDFs I tried - ending in 'This operation was cancelled' notification in Finder. The sync progress pie only gets a small way but never completes. It's like there's some kind of issue with the new position in the file structure.  

I am seriously regretting this update at the moment. Please can you advise? I've restarted both Dropbox and Mac multiple times. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @peludo, I'd recommend contacting our support team directly for them to look into this matter in more detail on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

peludo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks Jay.

I restarted in Safe Mode, then restarted again and it seems to have cleared the problem. This may be worth doing for anyone having the same issues, especially for people still on older versions of the OS.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

peludo Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Jaco-Digivisie New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?