cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to collaborate on shared files in real time to avoid conflicted copies?

Is there a way to collaborate on shared files in real time to avoid conflicted copies?

gusman
New member | Level 2

I share my dropbox files with other users for work. I my co-worker has a document open and changes the file at the same time I have it open it creates another copy of that file. Can I upgrade where if we are both accessing the file it will automatically update?

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @gusman, I hope you're well today!

We currently only have integrations with Microsoft that would allow something similar to what you described here.

If you happen to be using Microsoft Office docs, the Microsoft Office Online integration  allows you to collaborate on files in real time. You can check out more about this here.

Otherwise, if you're editing Microsoft Office docs locally the Dropbox Badge will let you know when someone else has the file open, but it doesn't allow real time collaboration.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rjlowe
New member | Level 2

real time document collaboration. DBhelp states both parties use office online simultaneously for real time collaboration to existing docs. However, within the local DB browsing APP, there is no option to open docs in word online although default app is already set this way in my account. If the only way 2 collaborate on a doc real time is in office online, there needs to b a fluent & obvious process for initiating within the local DBapp that does not interrupt workflow. Please allow me to choose from both 365 and office online from within the app interface.  If the whole point of the DB app is to get local, and the whole point of DB authoring is to expedite workflow, isn't this a conflict that users have to move to web browser to collaborate?  Is there not a way to have both 364 and word online in the "open with" dropdown from inside the local DB browsing app? If not ..please create this. What am i missing?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @rjlowe!

The settings that you applied in your account to open the files by default in Office Online would only apply for when you're using the website.

Since you're checking your files from the Dropbox app, you can open the file online to use the Office Online integration by right clicking the file, and choosing "View on dropbox.com".

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

liztaps
New member | Level 2
Have you found a way around this?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @liztaps; sorry for jumping in here; but could you let us know some additional information about the issue you're facing?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    liztaps New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    rjlowe New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?