cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror Dropbox Folder on Desktop

Mirror Dropbox Folder on Desktop

JeffR18
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Perhaps a very basic question.

I have a Dropbox folder that I wish to work on with three separate computers (all mine).  I want the contents of the folder to also reside on each of these devices, with changes synced to DB.  I wish to not depend on always having access to DB so I must have the files on the devices also.

I don't wish the entire devices to be synced, but want the chosen folder to be visible on each desktop.

What's the easy way to do so? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @JeffR18, Yes, Dropbox folder resides in your computer hard drive. The default location is in your Mac home folder. When you are not online, the files would be still available. You are correct about both matters. 

You may make Alias (shortcut) of the particular folder you want, and put that Alias on your desktop for easy access. 

First go to your Dropbox folder in finder to browse the folder, righ click, and choose Make Alias

2018-07-11 at 7.21 PM.png

You will see an alias (shortcut/link) of that folder is created. 

2018-07-11 at 7.22 PM.png

Then drag that alias to your Desktop. 

2018-07-11 at 7.24 PM.png

Now you have the link to easily access your frequently used materials. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox doesnt default install to the Desktop so you will need to move the Dropbox folder to that location via:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

Then you can set up which folders you want syncing to each device via https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @JeffR18 - welcome to our Community!

You'll need to download the desktop application on all devices and log into the same account. Once the desktop app states "Up to Date" on every computer, you'll be fully synced. 

Note that changes made to a file in the Dropbox app on one device should appear in the app on other devices, and on the Dropbox website. This feature—”sync”—is core to how Dropbox works. It allows you to see the same version of a file on any device you sign in to Jeff - supposing that you use the same account on all devices.

Also bear in mind that our software is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder meaning that your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features.

To take advantage of Dropbox, move or copy files into the Dropbox folder. This will place the files into the Dropbox folder. Once Dropbox sees changes in the Dropbox folder, it automatically syncs the new changes to Dropbox servers and to any other computer linked to your account.

If I were you, I would also take a look at our Selective Sync feature which is a great way to free up space on computers that are connected to your Dropbox account. 

I hope this information helps you get started Jeff and I remain at your disposal. Let me know if you need anything else - thank you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JeffR18
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks.

I have the desktop application and opening it places the Dropbox on my menu bar.  It says 'Up To Date.'

If I click on the icon, and folder, I see everything in my Dropbox.  Am I correct that that folder actually resides on my computer?  Say something happens and I can no longer access Dropbox, or I am somewhere with no wifi, that folder will still be available?

What I would like to do is have a desktop link on my Mac's to a subfolder within my Dropbox folder that I can click to quickly access frequently used materials.  I don't want to search through my entire Dropbox folder each time.

Possible??

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @JeffR18, Yes, Dropbox folder resides in your computer hard drive. The default location is in your Mac home folder. When you are not online, the files would be still available. You are correct about both matters. 

You may make Alias (shortcut) of the particular folder you want, and put that Alias on your desktop for easy access. 

First go to your Dropbox folder in finder to browse the folder, righ click, and choose Make Alias

2018-07-11 at 7.21 PM.png

You will see an alias (shortcut/link) of that folder is created. 

2018-07-11 at 7.22 PM.png

Then drag that alias to your Desktop. 

2018-07-11 at 7.24 PM.png

Now you have the link to easily access your frequently used materials. 

JeffR18
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Perfect! Thank you!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JeffR18 Explorer | Level 4
    Elixir Super User
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?