cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Dropbox is killing me

New Dropbox is killing me

acej
Collaborator | Level 9

Hello, 

Is there any support available from Dropbox here or anywhere? Strange to have such a massive app and no support provided.. 

In any case I'd appreciate any help from anyone. My Dropbox has stopped working as of yesterday. I can't access updated files from one computer to another and trying to read files online is only working randomly. I am using version v169.4.5684, on Macs running Monterey 12.6. 

Another question would be, is there anyway to downgrade to the old Dropbox version that I had no problems with before this new buggy version messed everything up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

14 Replies 14

Klint
Explorer | Level 4

Couldn't agree more. Although I've always found Dropbox problematic, it's now reached the point where I have to find an alternative. There are so many things wrong I don't know where to start!
1) Dropbox BackUp seems to be entirely separate from the rest of dropbox which is confusing and pointless.

2) As a secure store of data, dropbox is no longer reliable, since I never know if it's actually working or not. 
3) I copy data in Mac Finder to the dropbox folder, and the files appear there, but check in dropbox online and they're not there.

4) I copied a 2 Tbs of photos to the backup application 2 weeks ago, which then appeared to delete them from my original external drive!! I have other backups fortunately, but then they've miraculously re-appeared. So did dropbox lock the drive somehow making them appear deleted?

Basically it's unreliable, extremely confusing, and now tries to be too sophisticated while not allowing the basics to work. 

Time to leave.

acej
Collaborator | Level 9

I found a kind of solution. From another thread the recommendation was to sign out (not just Quit) from Dropbox and sign back in - to stop the syncing of 300+ files that wouldn't stop. Another problem I was having. So I did that on both of my computers, and they reinstalled the OLD Dropbox which is so much better that the awful NEW version they are so heavily pushing. The only/major problem that I lost some files and had to resort from an old folder because the reinstall reverted back to the version of the files/folders that were in use back when I "updated" to the latest version. The new version is really awful, buggy and ridiculously terrible. So happy I'm back on the old version so I can see my folders/locations easily. Knowing that, Dropbox will probably eventually force us all to "upgrade". Does anyone know any alternatives besides Google docs?

ReRe D.
Helpful | Level 5

I've been using iDrive.  Of course Google Docs has it's own doc format so that might be a problem, but I can't speak to that.  Google Drive quit working with my Mojave Mac so I'm searching, too.

Dropbox used to be good, but now - nope. 

Where can i download the old version?

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
I just signed out, and signed back in. It may help to delete Dropbox before reinstalling.

DrAJP
Helpful | Level 6

I've also been wishing there was a way to undo the recent DropBox upgrade that moves files to "location." I *need* the finder and spotlight to work as they did/as they are designed to work. I also don't like the really weird way that TimeMachine/my external backup drive works now. The DropBox files are there still but are in a hidden holder that's hard to find. Hopefully DropBox listens to us, the customers! 

JRankine
Explorer | Level 4

Look into Microsoft OneDrive. I use both Dropbox and OneDrive. 

acej
Collaborator | Level 9

You can undo it, I did. You have to sign-out, not just 'quit' the app then reinstall.

JRankine
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

Here's a link to an article that may explain Dropbox's location move as well as other changes to the new Dropbox.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Basically it's Apple's requirement - for the lack of a better term - but the article gives a better explanation. 

If all else fails, "google" the crap outta everything :P. There's a good chance other people are experiencing the same issue and I usually find an explanation or work around/resolution to the issues.

Good luck :0)

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Do you work for dropbox? Such terrible / non-existent customer support.
Need more support?