cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Options for Dropbox file

New Options for Dropbox file

mrlunch
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Some these ideas maybe a little redundant but here goes.   The first sset of options deals with how the files will be stored in the cloud.  These options are: compress (which I believe is done today), asis (store the file without compression) or conditional (the file is first checked  for viability of compress. if the file can be successfully compress, it is, if not, the file is stored asis. The reason for these option is that there are certain tools which create files that appear to hose up when compress.  One example are some .eml files built by certain apps that create a compression issue. 

The next set of options has to do with storage space and access to files.  It is a possible way to circumvent problem that are being cause by the smart sync being recinded.  These options are: sharable (which is basically the way things work today.  A file goes into Dropbox and everybody can update, etc.), nonsharable (a file can "normally" only be accessed by the PC that uploaded it, i.e. the owner ), nonsharable with view (like nonsharable except any user, non-owner can get a copy to update locally, but does not replace the file in the cloud)  and nonsharable exclusive (allow a file to be treated like it is outside dropbox even though it is in the local dropbox folder).   In addition, a recovery app or process would be part of dropbox.  This would allow other users to access another user's nonsharable with a view folder possibly implemented via a password.  The recovery option would deal with the case of a PC that is nolonger functioning.  Also, the reason for the nonsharable exclusive would be to cover the case where a file was nolonger wanted to be shared; however, taking it out of the dropbox realm might cause problems.     

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mrlunch, I hope you're doing well!

Your feedback regarding storage, file access, sharing and more has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments, so we can improve our product. 

It's important to note that I moved your post from the ideas section to support, since it didn't have a very clear structure in order for others to be able to support it, and this wouldn't be fair for your feature requests. 

You can have a look into this idea guide, on how you can submit your ideas in the future.  

If you have any questions, don't hesitate. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mrlunch, I hope you're doing well!

Your feedback regarding storage, file access, sharing and more has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments, so we can improve our product. 

It's important to note that I moved your post from the ideas section to support, since it didn't have a very clear structure in order for others to be able to support it, and this wouldn't be fair for your feature requests. 

You can have a look into this idea guide, on how you can submit your ideas in the future.  

If you have any questions, don't hesitate. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mrlunch
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks a Bunch!!!

Need more support?