cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Photo uploads on Android not working unless I open the app

Photo uploads on Android not working unless I open the app

Big_Al_71
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I have the photo uploader feature turned on on my Samsung Galaxy S7, which I believe works overall. Although I have noticed that if I need it to upload a photo that I have recently taken, I need to open up the app on my phone before it will upload. I took a photo this morning; 4 hours later it still hadn't uploaded by itself. Once I opened up the app, it uploaded immediately. Older photos have been uploaded eventually, although I don't know how long it took.

Any ideas on how to get this to happen immediately, without intervention?

Thanks! Al

18 Replies 18

Joseph D.11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please, try the accepted solution. As mentioned, it is separate from battery saver and new in Pie.

Kevin B.13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Joseph D.11 
I'm not sure what your pointing at? The accepted solution involves turning off battery optimization for the application, which i did. Still the images taken on the phone are not uploaded until I open the app.  Turning toggling the camera uploads on/off, fixes it for a little while, but not permanently. After a few minutes/hours the images don't automatically upload towards DB camera uploads folder.
It used to work flawlessly, but I presume some update (dropbox or OnePlus) ruined this great functionality.

Joseph D.11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Adaptive Battery is new in Pie. Your first comment appeared to say you excluded the app from the old Battery Saver.

abbaroo
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I also just got a Pixel 3. I removed Dropbox, restarted phone, reinstalled Dropbox, turned off battery optimization. It doesn't even work for me while running the app. When I select Photos, I see my photos from last week, and above it, is indicated "Camera uploads (44 left)". The progress bar shows that it's trying, but it gets about half way, then appears to restart the upload. Sometimes the small image in the display changes, and other times its just the same image. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there, @abbaroo

Hmm. :thinking: Could you please ensure that while the upload is ongoing, the device is also connected to either a Wi-Fi or using data? Also, could you please check if you have available space on your Dropbox account, as well as your device? 

Let me know what you find! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

abbaroo
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've tried it both ways, via wi-fi and using the 4G data. Neither one worked for me. I also had dropbox at 86% full, so I reduced to 79% and that didn't matter either. I've tried turning camera uploads on and off, and reset the phone a few times, but nothing seems to help. I also tried uploading individual files, which seemed to work via 4G, but on wi-fi, it goes part way, and then says "waiting to upload...".

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the additional info, @abbaroo

Could you try connecting to a different Wi-Fi as well? Also, just to ensure troubleshooting, could you please check that background uploading is enabled? 

Spoiler
To do this, you can follow the steps below:
  • Open the mobile app.
  • Tap the menu.
  • Tap Settings.
  • Then under Camera uploads tap When to upload.
  • Check it is not set to Only while phone is charging.
If you’re still experiencing trouble with this, we’d have to take this discussion to email due to account-specific info required to further investigate (in which case, I can contact you to your email address associated with your Forum profile). 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

abbaroo
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

OK, I took my phone to a different wi-fi location, and I got it to upload the photos. For the videos, I had to turn the camera uploads off and back on a couple times to get them done. I did get it to work, but I'm not sure why it worked there but not at my home wi-fi. The new phone has done everything else just fine at home, and my old phone worked fine with dropbox uploads. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great to hear that you were able to upload the photos in the end, @abbarooHowever, as far as your connection goes, I’d kindly recommend reaching out to your internet provider directly to investigate further. 

If you have any other questions in the future, don’t hesitate to give us a shout or contact our Support team. Thanks!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?