cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Backup folder

Renaming Backup folder

erkin
Helpful | Level 7

Hi community, I have a question to those who use macOS devices. I recently got a new mac and set up the backup on Dropbox. Dropbox automatically named my new mac as Mac(2). However, I will be using this new device as my primary machine and I may end up selling my old mac if don’t see a reason to hold it. Therefore, I want to change the naming for these two macs. My devices are actually renamed as; MacBook Pro(2016) and MacBook Pro(2021), so there is nothing in naming as Mac(1) and Mac(2). I tried unlinking both my devices and set my new one first but it is still named Mac(2). Has anyone ever had a similar issue, and been successful fixing/renaming(backup) it? 

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @erkin, thanks for posting your question on our Community today!

I'm afraid that at the moment, there's no way to rename the backup folders.

Their names [Mac and Mac(2)], have been created so that you'll know which computer was backed up first and which second.

I will however pass your comments about this to our team, so thanks for this feedback!

If you have any questions, let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

onewil
Helpful | Level 7

I too very much would like this feature. Having multiple "Mac (x)" folders in my Dropbox is a bit ungainly to say the least. All those Macs have system names, maybe the Dropbox backup could use the machine name and then I'd know which was which?

Thanks for passing on the suggestions!

brotskydotcom
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Hannah it's now been more than a year since this question was first asked.  Any word from product management about progress on this feature?  If it's not going to be fixed, then it would be great to get it added to the Dropbox Backup FAQ/knowledge base documentation.

onewil
Helpful | Level 7

Agree it would be great to get an answer. This seems like a poor limitation, and my Dropbox is littered with Mac (2) and Mac (3) which aren't... clearly named folders. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @onewil & @brotskydotcom, thank you both for your feedback on this.

I just wanted to mention that you can also have a look at this idea and upvote it as well to show your interest. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

onewil
Helpful | Level 7

Wanted to say thank you! Looks like this idea is in progress, which is great. Appreciate the help connecting us to the voting option. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

onewil Helpful | Level 7
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    brotskydotcom Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?