cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously slow upload speeds

Ridiculously slow upload speeds

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've tried uploading through the website and using the windows app.  In both cases I'm lucky if i get 1/100 of what my actual upload limit is. I'm trying to upload about 4gb worth of files and it's saying its going to take 2+ days because it's uploading at 20kbps. Even comcast is faster then this.

I've already set the app to use unlimited bandwith and it hasn't helped. Dropbox is pretty easy to use, but if this is the fastest I can upload, dropbox is going to get dropped.

86 Replies 86

merk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think I found a solution for myself. I noticed that on my laptop, on the same network as my PC, even if connected via wifi, i was getting faster speeds. Did some googling and I found a network setting that when i adjusted it, improved my network speeds overall.

If you open a command prompt with admin priviledges, run the command

netsh interface tcp dump 

is autotuninglevel=disabled? if so try this

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

then try uploading or downloading and see if you get better results.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your update @merk!

I'm sure this info will be helpful to others with the same issue so I appreciate you taking the time to keep us in the loop here too. :grin:

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this too @auzhost

I wanted to mention that we don't recommend syncing database files with Dropbox as this can cause syncing issues. You can check out more info on using databases here.

As a first step, can you try just restarting your internet router to see of that helps? This might get you a different route to the servers which could help with the speeds.

Let me know and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

auzhost
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Daphne

Thanks for your reply, however, none of it is valid and I take particular issue with the comment about whether I have rebooted my router.
Firstly in that, Do you really think in the last three or four weeks I would not have rebooted the router, or thought to at least try that?
Secondly, Why is it that the go-to answer of most support people is to blame the client and or their equipment. REALLY!!! So sick of this. And there is no acceptance ever, that it could be something on your own system. I accept that there is a lot of issues caused by clients setups etc. However not everyone is an idiot, how about suggesting, have you tried .... and throw some ideas out there and then base the rest of your answer on fact as in CHECKED with techs
As for my router, it is Auto rebooted twice a day every day.

As for the DB comment.
I have been syncing my DB with Dropbox in exactly the same way for in excess of the last FIVE years and the article you referred to does not actually say that it's not recommended to sync DB's. What it goes on to explain is how it does work and how to correctly do it. Which is exactly how I have been doing it for the last 5 plus years.

Thank you.

Would you now please check for changes made on your end?

I'm sorry if you are offended by any of this, but so was I.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @auzhost!

I understand that you're frustrated, but I need to make sure we've checked all relevant steps, since I have no access to any other info that what you provided me here.

I'd be more than happy to investigate further with you, but we'll need to do this through our Support channel where we can look into this in more detail that I can't see from here.

Please create a ticket here and let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567), and I'll follow up with you there. 

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tissie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am also having the same problem over the last 2 weeks. I currently have a 100mb download and 40mb upload speed.  I can get high seeds downloading and uploading with everything else but not dropbox.  Lately all I am getting on upload is around 1.115KB/s whereas I should be getting 4,000+KB/s  This started about 2 weeks ago and it's extremely frustrating.  I am getting the speeds I should be from everywhere else.  I have rebooted everything muliple times in the hope that it will fix the problem, all to no avail.

My question is also the same as above, what has Dropbox done that has slowed the upload speed down?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Tissie, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this!

There are a few things we can check to see if that will resolve the issue for you as some have found different steps helped them.

Can you first just check the bandwidth settings of your desktop app and make sure that they aren't limited?

If they aren't then please try the steps listed here to see if that does the trick.

Let me know how it goes and we can take it from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tissie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes my bandwidths both download and upload are set to unlimited, always have been

Tissie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

oh and I tried the other steps but neither 'fix hardlinks' nor 'fix permissions' are options under the account tab while holding the spacebar down or not

Tissie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

not happy now, I clicked in the main part of the account tab while holding down the space bar, and now it has unlinked my main pc.  When I try to link again it tells me I now only have the option of 3 linked devices, where I had 4.  So NOW I have to upgrade and pay!!.  Is this how they get people to pay ?  As I said NOT HAPPY

Tissie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have also checked limit upload speeds automatically.  I have checked the speed while it is set at this and then unchecked and set back to no limit, and it seems that the speed is exactly the same on both settings. So is the automatic upload limit being automatically enforced regardless of what is set in the preferences?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    lady8jane New member | Level 2
    Nancy023 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?