cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search feature not working

Search feature not working

Jeff P.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm currently searching my Dropbox for a text string. I'm looking at the file on my desktop, I'm fully synced and Dropbox does not find the file when I use search. What's up!?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shmuel P.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This seems to have fixed the 'Desktop Seach on Windows' issue by me. 

Credit: Superuser.com - Windows 7 Index Search does not work in Google Drive folder

In short: (Detailed instructions after this)

1. Make sure that the 'SYSTEM' user/group has full permission access to your 'Dropbox' folder. (In 'Properties'>'Security')
  2. Make sure that Windows can index the 'Dropbox' folder contents. (In 'Properties'>'General'>'Allow files in this folder to have contents index in addition to file properties')
  3. You may also have to rebuild your Windows search index.

Detailed instructions: 

1. Navigate to the folder that contains your 'Dropbox' folder. (This is usually 'C:\Users\<Username>)
  2. Right-click on the 'Dropbox' folder, and click properties, then click the 'Security' tab. 
  3. Under 'Group or user names:' make sure that 'SYSTEM' is in the list. (If 'SYSTEM' isn't in the list then you need to add it by clicking 'edit'>'add'>'Advanced'>'Find Now', select 'SYSTEM' from the search results, and click 'OK'>'OK'>'OK')
  4. Select 'SYSTEM' in 'Group or user names:' (the top big box).
  5. Look under 'Permissions for SYSTEM', and make sure that there aren't any checkboxes under 'Deny'.
  6. If there are checkboxes under 'Deny' then you need to click the edit button, uncheck all checkboxes under 'Deny', then click 'OK', then again 'OK'. Windows will now apply the permission to your 'Dropbox' folder. This can take an hour or more depending on how large your Dropbox is, so be patient. 
  7. You can also go to the 'General' tab (in the same properties of the 'Dropbox' folder as before), click 'Advanced' and make sure that the checkbox by  'Allow files in this folder to have contents index in addition to file properties' is checked. 
  8. You may also have to 'Rebuild your Index', here's a guide for this: How to Solve Windows Search Issues with an Index Rebuild - tekrevue.com/tip

Please reply if this worked for you, thanks.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Brian C.47
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

+1 for search being very poor. Basic or Advanced search is not reliably finding by (parts of) filenames or extensions.

Javier B.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Search is not very poor, it doesn't work whatsoever. As Jeff, I have a folder with 4 files, I am looking at the files, all contain the term "agriculture"; I search "agriculture", it returns "NOT FOUND". This is beyond ridiculous.

GSI A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem.  Just started about two weeks ago.  It's like the indexing of my Dropbox just stopped or is corrupt.

Granted P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same issue here, started today. The only things that are showing up are those things that are deleted. I just did testing, and I was able to manually find a folder, move it to a new location (which deletes from current location) and now the only thing that will show up in the search is the deleted file in the old location.  Nothing else.

Mike C.51
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ok, so whats so great about this Dropbox community forum when there is not a single answer or response back from anyone on this issue as to how to fix it or what is being done to repair the issue.  I have this same issue dating back to late September or early October too.  There I feel better now, I've vented and not a single response will ever be generated to answer the issue.  Thanks Dropbox tech crew!!!

Perpetuity P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same issue.  I have a folder with one file in it that contains the word "schedule."  I search in that folder for schedule and receive a "no results found" message. Nor does it find the full file name. Ridiculous!  

Rick D.24
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same exact problem.  I can SEE the file, I can OPEN the file, but search will not FIND the file.

Hello Dropbox, is anyone listening?  If we cannot solve this, Dropbox becomes useless to me.

Midamar C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

same exact issue, when searching for something can't find it, Yet whatever I am looking for is in the dropbox folder. 

Shmuel P.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This seems to have fixed the 'Desktop Seach on Windows' issue by me. 

Credit: Superuser.com - Windows 7 Index Search does not work in Google Drive folder

In short: (Detailed instructions after this)

1. Make sure that the 'SYSTEM' user/group has full permission access to your 'Dropbox' folder. (In 'Properties'>'Security')
  2. Make sure that Windows can index the 'Dropbox' folder contents. (In 'Properties'>'General'>'Allow files in this folder to have contents index in addition to file properties')
  3. You may also have to rebuild your Windows search index.

Detailed instructions: 

1. Navigate to the folder that contains your 'Dropbox' folder. (This is usually 'C:\Users\<Username>)
  2. Right-click on the 'Dropbox' folder, and click properties, then click the 'Security' tab. 
  3. Under 'Group or user names:' make sure that 'SYSTEM' is in the list. (If 'SYSTEM' isn't in the list then you need to add it by clicking 'edit'>'add'>'Advanced'>'Find Now', select 'SYSTEM' from the search results, and click 'OK'>'OK'>'OK')
  4. Select 'SYSTEM' in 'Group or user names:' (the top big box).
  5. Look under 'Permissions for SYSTEM', and make sure that there aren't any checkboxes under 'Deny'.
  6. If there are checkboxes under 'Deny' then you need to click the edit button, uncheck all checkboxes under 'Deny', then click 'OK', then again 'OK'. Windows will now apply the permission to your 'Dropbox' folder. This can take an hour or more depending on how large your Dropbox is, so be patient. 
  7. You can also go to the 'General' tab (in the same properties of the 'Dropbox' folder as before), click 'Advanced' and make sure that the checkbox by  'Allow files in this folder to have contents index in addition to file properties' is checked. 
  8. You may also have to 'Rebuild your Index', here's a guide for this: How to Solve Windows Search Issues with an Index Rebuild - tekrevue.com/tip

Please reply if this worked for you, thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Midamar C. New member | Level 1
    Rick D.24 New member | Level 1
    Perpetuity P. New member | Level 1
    Mike C.51 New member | Level 1
    Granted P. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?