cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox links creating "key" in shareable link after failing to sync

Shared Link / "scl" to "s"

Pysio13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello. My question concerns my recent issue with file sharing. Usually, my links were generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/s/'. However, lately, every file is being generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/'. Do you know a way to restore the old way of generating links? I just need old way of links, because game can't read new links

Greet 😛

210 Replies 210

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Currently, there isn't a method to create a specific type of shared link URL. The functionality of opening the link on the site should remain the same, however.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Skyeman69
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I upload a file and copy the link, the link normally ends with ".mp3?dl=0"

my last two files now generates a link that ends "mp3?dl=0&rlkey=randomkey"

With all the extra characters, some of my 3rd party Apps will now not recognise this new style of generated link.

Can someone offer advice in what's going on?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Scott Cameron, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

How are you generating the links? From our website?

If you edit the link and remove the last part, does the link work for you?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Ufodynasty
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just out of curiosity, you aren't by chance referring to pulsus when you talk about a game? I came across this thread when I ran into the exact same issue. I temporarily mitigated it by creating a new dropbox account and creating a new shared link, however, if this persists I think pulsus will have to change the way it handles song uploading. If its not pulsus, you can still create a direct download link to the file by changing the dl=0 in the sharing url to dl=1.
From other support ticket browsing, my understanding is that dropbox is trying to end support for dropboxusercontent in favor of url parameters. If this is the case I will be very sad because it will break my use case.

aaronpanganiban21
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have a website via Webflow I'm using Dropbox to host content on.

There was a weird issue where it wouldn't upload the files to the folder via the integrated Mac Desktop thing and I tried adding and then removing it via browser. This froze up my Finder menu and I had to restart my machine.

Since then, the links have had the phrase "key" in its url. That line in the url has stopped me from being able to put the content up for preview because the previews wouldn't play anymore. However, days prior, Dropbox and the other files were working fine; and when you try to manage permissions, the files don't have an option to add passwords to them. 

There's a workaround where my web developer removes them on his end and re-uploads them, but I'm frustrated it seems I can no longer add content by myself. 

Has anyone had this issue? I went to support and as much as it was helpful, they couldn't go into it any further citing it was Webflow's fault (even though it was Dropbox creating the links. Not Webflow)

Has anyone found a way to turn off the add passwords feature entirely (not even the slideable button) or has dealt with this recently?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @aaronpanganiban21, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you please guide us through the steps you're following to create the links?

Also, can you give us an example of how a link used to look for you and how it looks now?

Just make sure it's not a real link, but a made up one, so you don't have to post your link publicly.

As for the link permissions, have you tried this through a different browser or a private browsing window, to see if that helps?

Thanks.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Forebears
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Just here to say I’m experiencing the same issue on my client’s website. We were hosting mp3 files from Dropbox with no issues until yesterday when our uploads started generating “scl” links.

The HTML audio player will not preview these links regardless of the parameters I add to the URL.

Does anyone know what the “scl” directory is? I imagine it’s tied to sharing options.

aaronpanganiban21
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
So the process goes:
Create MP3 bounced from my program for making music.
Going into desktop integrated Dropbox and uploading it that way to a folder shared between me and my web developer for the site.

Then, on the browser, in that shared folder, hitting “copy link” so I can use that link to paste it into the url zone for website on Webflow.

That’s it. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I know.
It’s worked before with two other files, and then after the Finder freeze and restart, it’s having issues.

My developer had found another forum post after he noticed the file links were different; the files that work had /s as their sub folder, but the one that didn’t had scl/fi. And the forum post had someone dealing with a similar issue

bleach hawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sadly it doesn't work the same way on my website. Files cannot be loaded from /scl/fi links.
Additionally it's impossible to use 'dl.dropboxusercontent.com' with these links, even when directly accessing the file from the browser.

Stratoman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,
I am using the links on the Geocaching.com site.
I have over 335 caches and most have photos from Dropbox as Geocaching.com does not support third party servers other than their own or Dropbox.
I cannot now create a new cache page as the new /scL/ link no longer render.
I always change dl=0 to raw=1 after copying it into the html page.
Thankfully all the old links still work find as they have already been created.

I will contact Geocaching.com as this must be a serious issue for many CO's

Stratoman

Need more support?